Question of the Day, Friday, December 18

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! 
 And Happy Friday! I'm ready for the weekend....and it's going to be a good weekend because I'm off on Monday, too! 

When do you open your Christmas presents? Some people like to open gifts on Christmas Eve; others prefer to wait until Christmas morning. 

Rick has to usher at church on Christmas Eve. When he comes home, I will have some hot chocolate and a few cookies for us to enjoy and we will open one small stocking gift. And then on Christmas morning, we'll open the rest. It will just be Rick and me, so it's a little bit of relaxing time before the madness starts. And this year, our kids are coming on Saturday, so we'll open gifts after dinner and dessert.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We open them on Christmas Eve, as is customary in Germany. My family always opened gifts from family members on Christmas Eve and presents from "Santa Claus" Christmas morning, so it wasn't an adjustment for me.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to various family parties, that are all on different days, so sometimes prezzies are opened on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or a whole other day. This year, it will be the two mentioned, as well as the day after.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't get presents. I usually get some money. My DD (aka the queen) already got hers. I'll unwrap the furkids' gifts for them when the queen arises on Christmas morning- yeah right- afternoon.

I'm looking forward to giving the kids their presents. I got them some stuff that I think they are going to love.

I put together a big box of presents for the cats at the shelter that Henry came from. Lots of toys, treats and canned food. I'm WAY more excited about bringing that down to them and playing and cuddling with them for a while on Wednesday when I'm off work than I am about Christmas day. Since it's now just DD and me there's not a whole lot of excitement. We usually go to see a late movie on Christmas night. Our "big" holiday dinner will be crab cakes and salad. Just our style.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Christmas day.

Back in the day when my mom hosted Christmas Eve, she refused to let anyone open presents until midnight. Once it hit midnight, we'd open gifts from cousins/aunts/uncles/friends. It was nice because we all took turns to see what we each got.

Mom/Dad/Sibling presents, as well as Santa gifts would wait until we wake up in the morning.

Now my cousin hosts Christmas Eve. It's "As soon as the kids see the presents, even before we take coats off, must open them".. which kind of stinks because I like to see them open the gifts and see what they got! (I don't get presents from them on Christmas Eve, I just enjoy their company)

I spend the night at my parents, and first thing in the morning (After my dad gets his cup of coffee), we open each other's presents, just the 3 of us, and take turns opening them. I usually pass the gifts out to make sure it balances out between opening them (Though my parents spoil me still, I end up opening more than them.. bleh)

My sister hosts Christmas Day now (even though it's small, my parents, her kids/husband), it's a whirlwind when opening presents. No one pauses and wait to see what others get anymore. I always feel out of place/disrespected if I open a present and no one's acknowledging it. UsuallyI go home with presents unopened for that reason (and no one notices I didn't open them!). Makes me sad.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Christmas day.

Back in the day when my mom hosted Christmas Eve, she refused to let anyone open presents until midnight. Once it hit midnight, we'd open gifts from cousins/aunts/uncles/friends. It was nice because we all took turns to see what we each got.

Mom/Dad/Sibling presents, as well as Santa gifts would wait until we wake up in the morning.

Now my cousin hosts Christmas Eve. It's "As soon as the kids see the presents, even before we take coats off, must open them".. which kind of stinks because I like to see them open the gifts and see what they got! (I don't get presents from them on Christmas Eve, I just enjoy their company)

I spend the night at my parents, and first thing in the morning (After my dad gets his cup of coffee), we open each other's presents, just the 3 of us, and take turns opening them. I usually pass the gifts out to make sure it balances out between opening them (Though my parents spoil me still, I end up opening more than them.. bleh)

My sister hosts Christmas Day now (even though it's small, my parents, her kids/husband), it's a whirlwind when opening presents. No one pauses and wait to see what others get anymore. I always feel out of place/disrespected if I open a present and no one's acknowledging it. UsuallyI go home with presents unopened for that reason (and no one notices I didn't open them!). Makes me sad.
I know what you mean. It seems as though every year Christmas gets more and more commercial and more about spending too much money than anything else. Sometimes I wish I could fall asleep on the day after Thanksgiving and wake up on New Year's eve.

I'm pretty much over Christmas altogether.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We open them Christmas Day.

When I was a kid I spent Christmas Eve with my Dad and his side of the family; so I always got to open presents then too.  One year my cousin and I stayed overnight at our Grandma's the night of the 23rd.  Grandma let us stay up until midnight so it was officially Christmas Eve and then let us open one gift each.  I miss those days!! 

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Christmas break for the kids is two weeks long starting the 21st. I was going to let them open gifts from Grandma the 22nd when they arrive in the mail. Presents from husband and I will be opened Christmas morning at the latest . I like to let them enjoy their gifts while on break. There big gift is getting to move from this trailer we've been approved for our dream house in Oklahoma !;)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We open one gift on Christmas Eve.   Sometimes they are 'planned' i.e. one year I took a puzzle and gave everyone some pieces to open and we put it together that night.  One year I wrapped the gift 5 times with a different name on each wrapping, so everyone got to open 5 gifts. 

On Christmas day, stockings can be opened as soon as you wake up.  Gifts are opened after we have breakfast or lunch.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas day.  We all meet at my parents house. My sister & her family, & sometimes my nephews long time girlfriend is with him as well.  We usually open gifts before dinner (sometime in the afternoon).

So while my parents have each other, & my sister, her family in the morning, it's just Angel & I, so I don't get to open anything until I get there. So, I decided to save whatever gifts I get from clients (got one today), & friends to have to open on Christmas morning. My parents have wanted me to just spend the night before, like you @Draco, but I didn't want to leave Angel here by himself over night, even before he was sick. 

I also remember gift opening being the way you described  when my niece & nephew were younger. It is disappointing, doesn't feel appreciative. Now they are 20 & 22, so it's better. I make sure one person hands out their  gifts at a time, so that doesn't happen, & everyone has a chance. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I was growing up, and then when my sons were growing up, family gifts were opened on Christmas Eve, then Santa presents were opened on Christmas morning.  That worked well, because one of the family gifts was a robe and slipper set, so we had them for Christmas morning.

Now, it's just Hekitty and me, since the boys are so far away, and only have Christmas day off of work, and we open everything on Christmas morning.  There are just two gifts for each of us, and our stockings, so it's more fun to have it all at once. 

~voice drops to a whisper so Hekitty can't hear~  this year, Santa is bringing Hekitty a beautiful navy blue cat tree, with four levels, and a hidey-box.  She's gonna flip.  First time I've had to put a toy together on Christmas in 20 years.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmmm.........some gifts i open when they're delivered. like the omaha steaks gifts my mom and aunt send me -- those are frozen and need to be transferred to the freezer. and a friend sends me a gift card, this year via email, so i opened that when i read that email. and someone else sends me a Christmas card with a check in it, so that's opened when i open the card. my brother and family usually wait until i see my brother in january to bring Christmas gifts to me; i send their gifts early, usually in november or the beginning of december, so it all works out good. i rarely am given a wrapped Christmas gift, but if i did receive one i'd wait until Christmas Day to open it.

for me, Christmas is all about my cats; this year it's just jaspurr and me. my little snick and jaspurr were each given a couple gifts in early december, so they would be able to enjoy receiving Christmas gifts together for the first time. i just yesterday assembled a 'big' gift for our jaspurr, a 3 ft tall sisal post with base -- from The Vertical Cat. it has a carpeted perch on top the sisal post. jaspurr has shown some interest in it so far. i'll give my boy one small gift on Christmas Eve, probably a new cat toy. then on Christmas Day i'll give jaspurr his stocking.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I was growing up, and then when my sons were growing up, family gifts were opened on Christmas Eve, then Santa presents were opened on Christmas morning.  That worked well, because one of the family gifts was a robe and slipper set, so we had them for Christmas morning.

Now, it's just Hekitty and me, since the boys are so far away, and only have Christmas day off of work, and we open everything on Christmas morning.  There are just two gifts for each of us, and our stockings, so it's more fun to have it all at once. 

~voice drops to a whisper so Hekitty can't hear~  this year, Santa is bringing Hekitty a beautiful navy blue cat tree, with four levels, and a hidey-box.  She's gonna flip.  First time I've had to put a toy together on Christmas in 20 years.
oh, how exciting that your Hekitty will have a lovely big new navy blue cat tree! please post and tell us how your girl reacts when she sees it!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

oh, how exciting that your Hekitty will have a lovely big new navy blue cat tree! please post and tell us how your girl reacts when she sees it!
I will!  I so wish I had a camera, but even my phone only does phone stuff...talk, text.  Maybe Suzanne will take a photo with hers, and I can grab it off of facebook.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will open our stockings on Christmas Eve and gifts on Christmas morning.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas day.

Oh draco that is sad but try not to let it get you down.
The problem is that aren't disciplined as we were and if nobody tells them to wait to open the presents it gets disappointing.
Please be cheerful.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't celebrate Christmas but I do get two Christmas presents that I open when I get them.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Draco Draco That really sucks :disa: I'm always way more excited about giving than receiving, so I can imagine how hard it is not getting to see everyone's reactions properly.

We open presents on Christmas morning - sometimes with one on Christmas Eve night if someone's really depressed/upset. It's only ever just me and my parents, so it's always pretty quiet.

The cats and dogs get their main present at Christmas dinner - they're ALWAYS queuing up for the turkey as soon as they smell it cooking :rolleyes: They're all getting some homemade gifts this year too - jumpers for Pixie, catnip toys for the cats (some feathered and some beribboned), and probably a plushie toy for Leah.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I will!  I so wish I had a camera, but even my phone only does phone stuff...talk, text.  Maybe Suzanne will take a photo with hers, and I can grab it off of facebook.
She should be able to email it to you from her phone. That way it will already be on your computer and you can save it.