Question of the Day, Friday, December 17

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was it the humorist Dave Barry who wrote that there’s really only one fruitcake in the world, and it just keeps getting gifted to someone else each year? :lol:
Yup. I took this from an article he wrote.

" I have long believed that nobody actually MAKES fruitcakes. I believed that all fruitcakes were formed thousands of years ago by some kind of horrible natural catastrophe involving (1) fruit, (2) cake and (3) a radioactive meteorite. I subscribed to the widespread theory that these ancient fruitcakes had been circulating as "gifts" ever since, being passed from person to person, with nobody ever actually eating them."

My parents sometimes ate fruitcake when I was a kid . They wouldn't buy it but if gifted one they'd eat it. They never had to worry about any of us kids eating it. It was all theirs.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the subject of fruitcake, did you all know that in the UK all wedding cakes are fruitcakes? I don't think their fruitcake is as dense as ours, but still. . .
I've heard that. It probably isn't. Can you imagine how much a big multi-tiered fruitcake would weigh? The bride and groom would need to rent a crane to bring it into the reception. 😂

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Never fond of cakes, but if I have to choose what I don't like, it would be chocolate cake.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Ya’ll can have your carrot cake, but I’ll take the cream cheese frosting for my brownies. (Although I just read that there’s a cream cheese shortage! :eek2:)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ya’ll can have your carrot cake, but I’ll take the cream cheese frosting for my brownies. (Although I just read that there’s a cream cheese shortage! :eek2:)
I like cream cheese frosting too. DD likes red velvet cake. I used to make it (or cupcakes) for her and while I wasn't a big fan of the cake itself, I could eat the frosting with a spoon.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dislike a lot of foods, I'm such a picky eater 😬
I don't really like fruitcakes, anything caramel, or brownies