Question of the Day, Friday, December 16

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning!
 And Happy Friday! 
 (Can you tell I'm not retired.....I really look forward to my weekends! 
 )

Easy question today: Are your ears pierced? How did you get your ears pierced? How many piercings do you have? Do you wear earrings often?

My ears are pierced, just once in each ear....in the lobes. They've been pierced for a long time, but I stopped wearing earrings long enough (we weren't allowed to wear any jewelry in the paper plant....not even wedding rings..... and I worked there 18 years) that the hole in my right ear grew shut and I had to have it re-opened. I wear them every day now during the week and if we go out on the weekend. If I'm home, I don't. I love longer earrings, maybe because my hair is longer, so you can't really see them if I'm just wearing studs. I have trouble getting posts through my ears because I have longer nails and it's harder for me to grab the backs of the posts and put them on. So I prefer the hook kind over anything else. But I like wearing earrings. 

My mom pierced my sister's ears when she was 13....ice cubes and a needle. No way was she going after me with that stuff.  I'm a coward. I went down to the mall one day and had them pierced there. I went back about three years ago when I had the right hole re-opened. And I've been wearing them ever since.

Tell us about your ear piercings!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No.  As I develop keloids, can't have my ears pierced; I would end up with a huge keloid on the front and another on the back.

My Mum had quite the time with me during my teens, I wanted pierced ears so much!  Even though I understood why I couldn't and I'd been shown photos at the doctor's office.

I love to wear earrings, dangly ones.  I prefer the old type of findings, screw back from the 1940's, but those are hard to find today.  I have many clip on earrings, but those either pinch or fall off. 

I often buy earrings (pierced) and I have the cheap clip on findings which I will put on.  I have fun ones for all the holidays, and several snowman varieties for winter.  Buying good quality earrings is difficult for me, though.   You'd think a proper jewelry store would be willing to help but most want an additional $100 (or more!) just to change the attachment!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pierced ears, just one in each.

Had them done for my 13th birthday by one of those piercing places in a mall kiosk.  Had no trouble with them.

Still have the earrings I received from my parents on my birthday that year - really nice gold and turquoise drops with a baroque feel to them. A bit on the heavy side so I don't wear them often, but I do love them.

I'm allergic to anything but gold or sterling.  I've been wearing diamond studs my ex got me, for at least a decade now. Timeless, and classic; they go with everything.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My earlobes have been pierced (once) since I was around 15 or 16. My mom took me to a department store to have it done and bought me a pair of 14 ct. yellow gold Creole hoops, while my grandmother bought me white gold ones. I generally wear "dangly" earrings nearly every day and have amassed a small "fortune"in them, since I can only wear gold or platinum and love real gemstones.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I have one piercing in each ear.  I thought about getting a second but just never did it.  As a child I wanted pierced ears so bad, all my friends had it done but my mother was against it.  After many arguments and a lot of conversations, she finally let me do it my last year of junior high but took me to a doctor.  The only rule she had was that I had to wear studs, she wouldn't let me wear hoops or hanging earrings.  So, of course, when I went away to college guess what I did?
  I've worn hoops or hanging earrings ever since.  When my daughters wanted their ears pierced I remembered what I went through trying to convince my mom and had no qualms whatsoever about letting them get it done. 

Last edited:

candicew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes I have 3 in one ear and 5 in another.

3 in my right are all in lobe and two in my left ear(with the 5) are in cartilage. 

My first ones were done when I was like 9 at JCPenneis I think. And then all the rest were done when I was 17/18.

Over the last year I had lost the backing to my top cartilage one, so it has closed up. I really need to get it done again as I miss my eating up there. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one in each ear. When I was growing up, only trashy women had pierced ears, so I didn't have it done while I was a teenager. When pierced ears became popular in the late '60s, I waited until my children were past the toddler age because I was afraid one of them would grab a hoop and pull with an iron grip. So I was in my late 20s before I had it done. I went to a store in the mall for it.

When I was working, I wore earrings every day, but now, it's only occasionally. I've never had one close up.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
got them pierced at 13 but I haven't worn earrings in decades. I think one hole closed up. I used to only wear dangly with the bent elbow type-I hated the backing kind. and they made my ears turn red as I got older. I can only wear silver/gold and I can't stand gold colored jewelry. I always got silver colored ones. I don't miss it. I have super long hair and it would get hung up with the earrings so I don't bother anymore. I envy the ladies who have the patience for jews and makeup. bah humbug with that stuff!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one piercing in each earlobe. I had it done at a mall ear piercing place when I was around 11. I'm not currently wearing earrings. When I do wear earrings, I find a pair I can wear all day and all night and then just never remove them, but once I do take them out, for cleaning or to wear different earrings for a special occasion, I usually go without for awhile. I briefly considered the idea of a second piercing when I was a teenager but never got around to it, probably fo4 the best since I don't care anymore. I once went a year without wearing earrings and the holes still didn't close up.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have/had 2 hoes in each earlobe. I don't wear earrings so I have no idea if they have closed or not. I would imagine the second set have since I have not worn anything in them in far longer. I will get the first set reopened as soon as Santa brings me that pair of  flawless 4 carat total weight diamond studs set in platinum that I have been asking him for. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Mine are pierced, three in each ear.  I wear small studs in the top two and longer ones in the bottom one.  I only wear sterling silver, never have been a fan of gold tones.  Sometimes it's a pain with the longer ones--between my long hair and reading glasses on a chain around my neck, they can get tangled up 
  but I wear them anyway.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine are pierced, one in each lobe.  I am one that didn't go to an ear piercing place to have it done.  A friend of my mother's did it with the ice cube when I was a teenager and it did hurt.  They are pierced a little higher than most people's.  When I was physically going to work I wore earrings everyday to work, I only occasionally wear earrings now.  I usually wear either modest sized hoops or stud earrings.  I remember several years ago chandelier earrings were the trend and I had a couple of pairs of those.  They are pretty but I haven't worn them since they seemed to have fallen out of fashion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I thought about getting my ears pierced for the second hole, but decided against it.  I don't sleep in my earrings; I take them out as soon as I get home from work or shopping. If I let them in too long, my ears will start to itch terribly. So no wearing earrings to bed, not even post types. No wearing them in the shower or in the pool. 

Rick enjoys buying me earrings and he'll often surprise me with a pair if we're out shopping somewhere. Like me, he prefers more unusual earrings.

I think I have one pair of cat earrings, but they're pretty small.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure it's Friday?  This has been a weird week!

My ears are pierced. My mother had it done when I was about 6 weeks old right at the doctor's office.  Apparently my Dad was quite mad.  
  I wear a small hoop earring in each ear daily but I take them out to sleep.  I might put on something nicer for a special occasion; but probably 363 days a year; it's a small white or yellow gold hoop earring.  I can't wear metal "costume" jewelry long without having an eczema breakout.  

Sometimes I think I'd like to have a second hole added to each ear so I can wear some of the nice studs I have.  I don't like how I look without something hanging from my ears.  Nothing too big; but not dangle-less I guess. Once upon a time I wanted to pierce my belly button but i never got up the courage. Now I don't have the waistline for that! 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't get my ears pierced until I was in my 30s. My favorite earrings are green - either jade or malachite or plain old glass.  I've not worn any for about a year so my ears have probably closed up, but when this happened before, I just shoved at the former hole until it became a current hole.  Sigh.  I'm really not looking forward to going through this again.  

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a total of 13 piercings in my ears, 8 in 1, 5 in the other. 4 of those are symmetrical, 3 on the lobes, and the tragus (that's the piece of cartilage that sticks out over the middle of the ear opening). The bottom hole is 3mm and I usually wear a steel hoop in it or a steel tunnel, but I have some fancy wooden, bone, stone, and horn carved earrings. I can wear cheap danglies through the tunnels if they have very long posts or French hooks. The other two lobes have opal studs and small silver hoops. Then in my right ear I have 4 various cartilage piercings. In the left I have an 8mm cartilage hole. I've had a tunnel in this which has led people to think it was an optical illusion, and I have some glass plugs which catch the light real pretty if you ask me. I only ever change the jewelry in my bottom lobes and in the stretched cartilage. The rest have steel jewelry that I don't intend to take out unless I need an MRI or something one day.

Last edited:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 piercings in total (3 on each lobe)

At ages 13, 15 and 16. They were all done Claire's. The first one, at age 13, was a gift from my momsey and aunt. Other ones I continued on my own, with my parents knowing and totally fine with it.

I love my piercings 
 and for sure, I wear earrings quite often, all types. 

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was a young girl when I got my ears pierce. However last year I piersed my left ear again. I wear 3 earrings.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I got my ears pierced for the first time when I was about 12. 

I have 7 piercings in each ear, 6 lobe and one conch piercing. I only wear earrings in the conch and five lower lobe piercings now. Surgical steel ball close hoops in the lobes and labret spikes in the conch piercings.

I also have a labret piercing and a deviated septum, but I haven't worn anything there for a long time.