Question of the Day, Friday, August 7

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wavey
They're two separate languages. Hebrew is the language spoken in Israel and was the language spoken 5,000 years ago.
Yiddish is the language spoken by Jews in eastern Europe and found it's way to wherever the Jews landed ie America, England, France etc. Places like Spain and Turkey and others had their own language and that was ladino. Also went where they moved to.
We're not called the Wandering Jew for nothing!!!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's surprising how many German and Yiddish words are similar. My sister's in-laws are Russian Jews (but have lived in the U.S. since childhood) and are fluent in Yiddish. They always get the gist when they hear my husband and I speak German, and vice versa. We've made sort of a parlor game out of it - "Did you just say...?" "Does that mean ...?"

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now you're making me jealous. I've used my Dad's circular saw before, but never a chainsaw. They must be really useful, especially when you live in an area like this, with so much discarded timber lying around.
i actually only have one very young tree on my (small) property. it's the firewood i get delivered, that has a whole lot of too long and/or too thick pieces (that won't fit in my wood stove), that i need the chainsaw to trim down.