Question of the Day, Friday, April 24

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Tell us about your house, apartment, etc. How many bedrooms/bathrooms do you have? If you have a house, what's your outside: siding, wood, brick? What's your kitchen like? Do you like your kitchen? Would you move if you got the chance?

We have a standard bi-level. done in blue siding, with a bay window in the living room, built in 1984 and we moved in in early 1985. Two bedrooms, one bathroom. We gutted the kitchen several years ago and started over; I like my kitchen, but there are a few things I'd add if we had the space to do so. We gutted the bathroom two years ago and started over with that. It's a really small house, but it's good for two people (and four cats). I used to say that I'd move if we ever got the chance, but I'm content here.

What's your house or apartment like?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment. There's one bedroom and one bathroom. There's no real division between my kitchen and living room, so I just say the kitchen ends after the stand the microwave is on. It's small, but that's okay since there's only me and I don't like to cook. I guess I'd say I'm indifferent to the kitchen :lol:

I would definitely move if I got the chance. I'd like a bigger place for the cats, and I'm not too fond of my neighbors :rolleyes:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current apartment: three beds, one bath, kitchen, front room, sun room, pantry, dining room, laundry room. All on the third floor.

House we're moving to: two story with half finished basement, four bedrooms, two bathrooms, combined kitchen and dining, front room. I think. It's bigger and exciting.

Both current and new are brick.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. It has a tan color siding on the outside; just a standard vinyl. The house was brand new when we bought it; but it was complete so I didn't get to chose anything. We were talking about replacing the flooring in at least the dining/kitchen. The lenolium in the kitchen is still in good condition; but the dining area and living room have a light gray that has NOT stood up to kids and pets well.

But I love my kitchen. The house isn't particularly big; but its a well planned kitchen and it is spacious. At Thanksgiving or other holidays when we host we sometimes have 3-5 people working in there and it doesn't feel too crowded. It has a wide peninsula separating it from a "breakfast nook" where I have the china cabinet and my elliptical. The cabinets they chose are a good quality. Especially compared to the particle board cheap stuff we had at our old place.

We are talking about moving; but I'm not rushing. I love our yard and I love a lot about this house. I wouldn't want to give up my kitchen just to get an extra bedroom for example. We spend more time home than most families since we homeschool. And the semi-open concept means I don't have a lot of wall space for school supplies. So a lot of the time I feel cramped. I probably spend 80% of my day in the kitchen/dining/office room because we work at the table. But I have a great view. I am watching the birds right now as I sit here with DD coloring.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I moved into a condo in 2012 - 2 bedroom, 2 baths. The building I'm in is brick and has 6 units; I'm in the basement, but only half of it is underground. I have a covered patio and look out onto woods.

While I like living in a condo, I would probably have bought one with a separate entrance and fewer units. It's also kind of dark in here; I think more light would be better. My kitchen is ok - nothing to get excited about. LOL

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is considered 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, but there is a 4th bedroom that I'm not sure can legally be considered a 4th. It's a rambler with a walk-out basement. It has red vinyl siding. I moved into it a little over a month ago and I'm liking it so far. There are some things I don't like, but they can be fixed with some work. There is also a really bad mole issue in the front yard but I'm having a hard time reconciling putting traps out to kill them. If they were getting in my house, that would be a different story, but they are only outside and destroying the yard.
My kitchen is nice. Again, there are definitely things I don't like, like the main light isn't controlled by a switch but by a pull chain, but I suppose that can be changed with some money, so it won't happen for a while. :p

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell us about your house, apartment, etc. How many bedrooms/bathrooms do you have? If you have a house, what's your outside: siding, wood, brick? What's your kitchen like? Do you like your kitchen? Would you move if you got the chance?
Parent's house, it has 4 bedrooms. Only one bathroom, which is very inconvenient. Outside is siding. No, I don't like the kitchen because my dad gave up on life and never remodeled the house, so it is basically falling down around us. Yes, of course, everyone here knows that I will move if I ever am able to afford it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house is a 2 story, with a walk-up attic and 3 large dormers that could. be converted to living space. Built in 1903, it is stucco on the first floor and siding on the second. There is a large porch out front, with an original beveled glass door and leaded glass sidelights. Inside, there are 4 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths. We redid our kitchen last year, ditching the '70s drop ceiling and putting in new cabinets, sink, and flooring, as well as a new dishwasher, so yes, we are satisfied with it. Considering the state of affairs in this state, we would move in a heartbeat if I could talk Michele into it.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a single-story house. Three beds, 2 baths, large living room, and kitchen. Brick facing with vinyl all around. We have a tiny fenced in backyard and a patio area.

We live in a "cookie cutter" neighborhood so our house doesn't really have any personality, which I would prefer, but it has ben a great starter home. When we moved in, there was new laminate (nice laminate, we couldn't have afforded it) down in the living room and master bedroom. There is carpet in the other two bedrooms, which I'm not thrilled about, but it's staying for now.

The kitchen is ok. I wish it had more counterspace. It's very long and narrow. My biggest issue is the flooring. It has old linoleum that has become aged over time and it just constantly looks very dingy and dirty no matter how much we scrub it. Whenever the covid stuff is over, my parents are going to come down and help us lay some groutable vinyl that I'm hoping will really make the kitchen look better.

I would move in a heartbeat if we could. We don't really care for the general area where we live now, so we are trying to bide our time to see if B can find a similar position in a state/area that we want to live in since I am more versatile job-wise than he is.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We live in a nearly 100 year old Craftsman home with some Victorian elements, that is made of terracotta block with a stucco exterior. Very unusual for the part of the US I live in. It's rather unique looking, one of a kind in the neighborhood and sort of imposing looking. Its not a big home, we don't have a family room, only 1-1/2 baths and the basement isn't finished so not a lot of hang out space at all. Technically it's not even 3 bedrooms - the 3rd one has no closet and the walk up to the attic is in it. We use that room as a home office. And closet space is pretty dismal. Very small backyard also, but that I don't mind too much. But, the kitchen and front porch are really big at least!

It still needs a lot of work, even with a ton of renovations that have been done to it already. We've been here for 10 years and now the kitchen is starting to look a bit worn, plus it was never done right to begin with so yea, the house needs some help. It was good for us when we bought it but we've outgrown it completely.

It's weird though because people who come here love the house. But all I see are all the problems it has and believe me there are plenty. I'd move in a heartbeat much as I do like the house, for other reasons. Our plan is to leave when I retire which I hope will still be in about 6-7 years (we'll see how investments hold up after this Covid thing - yikes) so I'm not rushing to do anymore major work on the house now. Let it be someone elses problem.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a 1500 sq. ft house that was custom built in 1959 in the mid century modern style. The outside is mostly siding with brick on the front and very wide roof overhangs. It has an eat in kitchen, a dining alcove off of the living room, a wood fireplace , three bedrooms, a family bathroom and a master bathroom all on one level. The living room and dining alcove have six foot tall windows running across both rooms and overlook my back yard. The dining alcove is where I spend a good part of the day, watching the wildlife, working on puzzles at the dining room table and looking at my I pad. I love this space.

One of the best things about this house is an abundance of hallway closets, including a utility/trash closet, a pantry closet, a very large linens closet and the best - a 4 foot by 10 foot coat and storage closet.

When I bought the house in 2005 the entire house was in original condition. I hated the kitchen and I tore it out and started it’s remodel two months after I moved in. It is a long, wide galley kitchen with a eating area at one end. Remodeled, it is very comfortable to work in with plenty of storage and space to work. One thing I especially like about it is that it overlooks the front yard so I can snoop on the neighbors as I cook and wash dishes.

I fell in love with this house when I saw it and bought it knowing it was going to need a lot of renovating and that it would be my retirement home.. I am pretty much done with all that now and everything on the main level is they way I want it to be. I do have some thing I want to do in the basement that I might or might not get to.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We live in a "twin" (semi-detached) house built in 1959 of terracotta blocks covered with stucco. It has a copper-colored tile roof that was replaced just a few years ago and a semi-detached 1-car garage. It was repainted a cream color just after the new roof was finished. The master bedroom opens on to a small front balcony, while the other two bedrooms open on to a larger back balcony.

Downstairs we have a decent-sized eat-in kitchen in the front, a half-bath, and a living room. Upstairs we have 3 small bedrooms - one is used as a den - and a tiny bathroom. There are two more rooms on the third floor, but they're used for storage. The house doesn't have any closets.

There's a full basement with a pantry in front and a combination laundry room, furnace room and workshop in back. The house is built on an incline, so the front door opens on to the ground floor, while the backyard is accessed through the basement.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Small, small, small.

Built in the 90s
Townhouse.Duplex Up and Down.
2 bedrooms One and a half bathrooms
no dining room
kitchen is small
I have a deck that I love

Yes, I would move move but only if was very wealthy and could
live part time in the US and the other part in Wales

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours was sold as a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath with formal living room, dining room and great room. 2 story Cape style with a full dormer. We are empty nesters now so have to much room but with hubby ill we aren't moving. We had planned to retire south to the warmer weather of the Carolina area. LOVE my kitchen since we remodeled it - just wish the little stuff was finished. We still need trim work around the doors but not sure hubby can manage now so I am going to have to learn. It is my dream kitchen. One thing I HATE is the wide pine floors in the great room. They now look awful and need replacing. One thing I LOVE about our great room is the fireplace. It takes up almost an entire wall on the end of the room with an opening of 6x4 feet. We have vinyl siding in a soft butter yellow.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small, typical British suburban (Victorian) semi detached house. It has two bedrooms (the spare room could technically be turned into a bedroom so it can be three bedroom), one bathroom, one kitchen and one living room/lounge area. We have some outside space too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a converted barn. Yup, it's a barn, lol. Very barn-ish. It has corrugated sheet metal siding, painted red of course. The inside has an entryway, a bathroom, and a bedroom in the lean-to area, and the kitchen/dining room, a bathroom, and a very large living room in the main barn area. And an unfinished loft that still has hay in the corners. While I like it, and if it were a younger barn I'd spend money to fix up the loft and stuff, it really is a very old barn so as soon as I pay off the mortgage (less than 5 years, I hope) I'm going to build a new barn/house/garage combo, some kind of multipurpose Morton building. I do want to respect the property's heritage by making sure the new building looks like a barn.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Two story gambrel with an attached breezeway and garage. Three bedrooms and two baths.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 bed 2 bath side split, about 1100 sq ft. Three bedrooms and a bathroom on the upper level, the kitchen and living room on the main level, and bath/laundry room, split rec room and crawl space in the basement.
It's white siding and brick with paved driveway that splits the front yard just about down the middle. Our property is pie shaped (the front yard being wider than the back yard).
I hate my kitchen. It does not have enough storage or workable space, and it's beyond dated. At first glance it's OK, but that's just because I can paint and organize like a machine. :)
And I would move, if the right place came along. I want a hobby farm or at least acreage.....and no close neighbors. :thumbsup:
I would definitely not get a side (or back) split again.