Question Of The Day, Friday, April 13

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The Do Not Call list doesn't do anything. No one pays attention to it. I've been on it for years and reported many unsolicited calls with no response. This morning someone with a heavy Indian accent called claiming to be Medicare and offering a brace for my "small pains." Like I'm going to fall for that.
I have reported telemarketers to the State Attorney General's office in this state and have had success. They have an 800 number for this, 1-877-5-NO-SCAM, so it is very easy to report problems. They start a file and pursue the case and send you letters about what progress they have made. I have made several complaints. One telemarketer, who should not have called in the first place, called me back after I had hung up. I reported it and a few weeks later, The State Attorney General sent me a letter saying that the person who had called had been fired. From my conversation with the telemarketer it sounded like her boss had lied to her and he was the one who needed to go. But at least there is some accountability.

I have Sling TV and an over-the-air antenna. Also Amazon Prime. For internet I have DSL. I'm not too happy paying $51 a month for DSL, but my cheaper option would be with a company that I do not trust. My cell phone is just for the car and I pay about $60 for 2000 minutes and it lasts me for a year.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have stuck with ATT since I got a cell phone, I started with them when they were still Cingular. They aren't the cheapest but I have only had one dropped call and that was well over 10 years ago. The company that I work for has a deal with them so I get a small discount. I have unlimited talk and text. I think there is a data limit but it has never been an issue for me and I pay 64 a month. So far I have not gotten into the deal with paying for the phone itself monthly. I keep a phone until it quits, I have a Galaxy S4 and I think they are up to a 9 now. I got it right after the 5 came out so I got a good enough deal on it to just pay cash for it. There are advantages to not being a techie type who is chasing the latest greatest thing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were with Dish for over twenty years and finally got sick of the bill going up and up and the hassle of arguing with them to get the 'loyalty' discount for a year. We went with cable. Not a whole lot cheaper, but much better internet and we can still watch TV during storms! We finally just switched to smartphones with Tracfone. 130.00/year compared to more then that a month before. Have everything everyone else does, internet, etc. for a LOT cheaper. Very happy with it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a roku, which is hooked up to my tv and router. i stream tv/movies. i have an amazon prime membership, so watch shows via amazon instant video. but i also rotate, switch between subscribing to netflix, hulu, and will likely add Britbox to my rotation...and amazon instant video. my usual rotation is two months of amazon instant video between each of the other streaming services.

my internet service provider is Spectrum -- was Time Warner, and then was bought by Comcast/Spectrum.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Comcast for Internet, then I use my parents' Netflix and I also have an Amazon Fire Stick and Prime, so I use that too. I mainly watch movies that I get from the library or RedBox though.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add that I don't watch live TV or have cable since my favorite show was cancelled a couple of years ago. There was really no other need for it. The show was Castle, by the way.