Question Of The Day, Friday, April 13

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :dance:

Our cable bill is being increased (again). It seems that every time we turn around, our cable is going up and up and up. We have our internet in with our cable and they just increased speeds, so that probably has something to do with it. Our house phone is separate.

What do you use to watch tv? How do you access your internet? Do you have cable or DISH or another means?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use cable (Comcast). We don't need the internet for it, however, we do use it for other services like Netflix.
Our cable company is the only one in the area so not like we have a choice. They are, at least, fairly reliable.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had Dish Network for years. When DD went off to college in August 2013 I cancelled it and have not gone back. It was $130 a month and I figured that was insane for 1 person. I use Netflix and Hulu. I also have Amazon Prime streaming but don't use it all that much.

I use Comcast for my internet and our cell phones. No landline.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in a rural area so cable is not available. We put a tiny antenna on our roof and with that we can get about 5 channels. I mostly watch dvd's because there is rarely anything I want to see on those channels.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Comcast for TV and Internet. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:yeah: :mad2:

We only watch a few channels of the 10 billion or so :rolleyes2: we have available and I keep wanting to go back to basic cable, but it's a bit of a 'discussion' :argue: between hubby and I whether we need all those channels or not. :lol:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've lived in our house for 30 years and had the same landline for all that time, so it turned out that we qualified for a huge loyal customer discount when we bundled our landline, satellite TV, and internet together about 5 years ago. Our phone company is Century Link, television is DirecTV, and Wifi is the slowest Century Link offers, but the Wifi is only $20 a month so we can tolerate a bit of slowness.

We originally got DirecTV because our local cable company didn't offer the SciFi channel, which had shows we wanted to watch. We've also had it for a very long time, which resulted in a free upgrade of our DVR late last year. And I recently bought a used Roku stick from a guy in my computer club, so once I get it hooked up properly we're going to give Netflix a try.

Margret

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We only watch a few channels of the 10 billion or so :rolleyes2: we have available and I keep wanting to go back to basic cable, but it's a bit of a 'discussion' :argue: between hubby and I whether we need all those channels or not. :lol:
Ditto, same here! :agree: DH watches every sports channel especially hockey. We have cable, internet and phone all bundled together. Every time our contract comes up for renewal I have to negotiate it down. And they don't give you a warning so I have to write a note to myself when it's time to renew.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Spectrum for cable and internet. I don't have any of the premium channels and it is still expensive. I do have two packages of extra digital channels which are 5.95 each per month and my bill is a little over 170 a month.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have dsl for internet/local calling, $60 a month, Directv $110 a month and cell phone with Straight talk $48 a month. Could I bundle? Probably but I don't want to give up my land line. I heard some areas that if you discontinue land line that dsl won't be available again there as was the case up in midmaine areas=so I just assume keep it-if power is out for a period of time I will still be able to communicate-I have a plain ol non electric phone as backup for this.

Jon likes the movie channels and the price of movie theater is just crazy so I don't mind paying the extra $16 a month for Encore. I do have netflix but I usually disconnect it when I am not using it. Probably next month shut it off until August but it's $11 a month..not a big deal to me-I like having this option on my phone when Jon's watching something I don't like, that knife building show on history channel irritates me-those voices and yelling count down is annoying..ear buds and law and order is what I put on instead.

We talked about disconnecting everything but I guess I like my morning news and sleep with tv on..maybe next year we will shut it off. Or if I loose my job I will only keep my cell phone and dsl/netflix for job searching- will shut off directv then.

We don't have comcast here otherwise I would have gotten rid of directv but looks like directv now has taxes which we didn't have before..so looks like it doesn't matter...

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Comcast for TV, and it's close to $100 per month for basic cable, which is insane because I only watch about 10 channels. I saw a study somewhere that said the average number of channels anyone watches was 17. We really ought to be able to subscribe only to the channels we want.

My son put an Amazon Firestick on the TV, but I have yet to add streaming to my Netflix account, another $10 per month.

I have AT&T for Internet, wi-fi, and a landline, which runs $80 per month, and Verizon for cell at $60 per month.

The connectivity sure gets expensive.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use a Roku for TV. Internet is through the cable company. We had phone service through MagicJack; but we aren't renewing that. It broke probably more than 6 months ago and at first we didn't even realize. Then it dawned on me how nice and quiet it is without having telemarketers call. (That Do Not Call list hasn't been as helpful as I'd have liked.) The phone always started ringing while we were doing school work. By now anyone who actually needs to reach me should have my cell. ;)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Do Not Call list doesn't do anything. No one pays attention to it. I've been on it for years and reported many unsolicited calls with no response. This morning someone with a heavy Indian accent called claiming to be Medicare and offering a brace for my "small pains." Like I'm going to fall for that.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Satellite. Cable is not available where I live. Our internet and phone are bundled in and the bill comes from Centurylink. It is a hassle with the TV because they keep going up on the bill. We are now paying $76 more for the same programming than we were about a year ago. They said our promotions/discounts had expired and wouldn't have anymore. When I told them we were cutting them loose, they coughed up a $50 discount which will be good for one year. Then the hassle starts over. We have switched back and forth from both Satellite networks. We are considering Amazon, Hulu or a digital antennae and go with local channels too. We may eventually do that.

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shaw Direct satellite, Shaw cable for internet, Speakout for cell phones, & Telus for landline. We separate the tv & internet, because I'm the only one who uses computer, I pay that bill myself.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well I’m kind of a odd duck. I tend to switch between tv and audiobooks. I love to multi task, so I tend to have something going and half listen while doing other things (like right now I have master chef jr going on in the background). Because of that I tend to use Netflix or Hulu (I also share a amazon prime account) and when I start getting sick of it I cancel then account for usually a good 4 to 6 months and listen to books instead.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have DirectTV satellite coupled with Centurylink for my Internet at $153 a month. I opted for HDTV channels and HBO because I love watching shows in high def and love HBO series like WW and GOT. I also have a Roku stick so I have Netflix $10.99 per mo. and Amazon Prime at $99 annual. I have seperate cell service for about $35 a month with Virgin Mobile. It adds up!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the British company TalkTalk for my internet and TV, though I also like to watch anime and Korean dramas on live streaming sites since I can't get them on TV at home. I watch quite a bit of Netflix, usually on my phone, too.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Comcast for the Internet, phone and cable. It cost $209.00 every month and it keeps going up all the time. I hate to pay that much. Everything is repeated. I only watch about 10 channels and even they are all repeats.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Comcast for the Internet, phone and cable. It cost $209.00 every month and it keeps going up all the time. I hate to pay that much. Everything is repeated. I only watch about 10 channels and even they are all repeats.
That's exactly why I told Dish Network to take a hike. $130 a month and I found that I was watching stuff just to watch stuff and it was all on the same channels. I have Netflix streaming and DVD plans and Hulu so together those are like $35 a month. Then I have my Amazon Prime so that will be $99 this year for the first time. I had Amazon Prime student because of DD which is $49/year but you can only get that for 4 years. Internet through Xfinity (Comcast) is $69/month and our cell phones through Xfinity Mobile (Comcast) are usually $100/month since I am paying off 2 phones.