TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I never balance my checkbook
I rarely write checks and there is plenty in there
I was a head teller at a bank years ago and picked up some bad habits
Shame on you! LoL

I don't balance the book either. I use a spreadsheet in excel for our bills and income. I check to make sure the correct amount was deducted and that's it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but since the bank thinks I have more in there than I think (based on my calculations), I'm not worrying about it.

It used to balance when DH did it, before he got lazy and I took over.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if the bank would stop fannying around and open my account I`d be able to answer, but they lost my ID and didn`t tell me
. Not a good start!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I still balance even though I don't write that many checks. The money still needs to be there even if it's paid on line or from EFT.

However, my computer does the balancing. I do have to put in the figures but my banking program does most of the work. I haven't kept a written record since 1993.

One time I had a computer failure and could not sleep until I went out and got a new one. All I could think of is "how do I know how much money I have and how do I pay my bills?"

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never use the checkbook, but always record our purchases in Quicken a few times a month. They always balance out
Rob never could get it to balance before we shared an account, but I hopped on and made everything match the first time. I'm now the designated Quicken girl.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do accounting and I don't balance

Of course, I don't keep much in the bank unless I know I'm going to buy something online.
I usually pay EVERYTHING in cash or money order
That way I KNOW it was paid and I don't have to wait for the bank to process it and I have a receipt in my hand!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Checking account credits intrest every so often and it confuses the crap outta me! So I have given up!! If I overdraft it they will tell me, but normally they say I have more money in there than I think I do! I hate being confused by that crap! Even with the DEBT card, I managed to overdraft last week.... WHOOPZ!! I bounced .16 cents! (Yes the bank paid it, and no they didn't charge me a insufficient funds fee!
) Dumb electronic confusing thingys!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually do just about all of my banking online- so everytime i make a purchase- i go online and update my account- i put details about what i purchased and where/why. It helps keep me accountable to myself for what i spend. If i know i'm going to see it in print- i'm more likely to think twice about if i really need what i'm about to buy/etc and try to make a wise choice. I LOVE my online checking acct.!!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Does your checkbook always balance?

I never actually record my transactions
plus I never write checks.....so no!
whats a check book?

i cant keep track, i have bank accounts in ohio,texas, hong kong, bangkok,Surabaya

the coffee shops in surabaya are suppoed to transfer the money to hsbc in hong kong. But my ATM cared from there wont work here, unless i want to drive to new york.
so in truty i dont know whats where

i just live off of the money i make from hp.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always try to keep it up to date, but usually when I do get it all caught up I either buy more things or have to write checks
! hmm...I gotta go to the bank tomorrow so I guess I should update it then too

Though I never spend more than I have, I always do my banking online and check there before anything (I am so cheap
) Just to make sure how much is in my account and such!