Question of the Day, February 21, 2024

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :lovecat2: Let’s discuss sleep patterns for today’s question. :sleep: I used to sleep on my right side but that has recently changed in the past few years and I find myself waking up on the left side. If it’s still dark out I wake up semi-comatose but if it’s light out I generally wake up in a good mood. How about you?

WHICH SIDE OF THE BED DO YOU WAKE UP ON AND WHAT IS YOUR MOOD?

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my BF and I share a bed, I sleep on the left side. If you meant body positions, I would say the general consensus is that I wake up on my stomach or sides.

As for my mood it depends, if I have to get up early for work (4 am) I am bit grumblier and more negative :lol: if I am sleeping in then I am in a much better mood.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get off on the left side. Which side I sleep on doesn’t change the usual morning “zombie” routine.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you mean actual side of the bed, I sleep on the right side, whichever bed I sleep in. I generally sleep on one of my sides flipping over from to time. If Austin gets on the bed and I'm awake I'll turn on my back so he can climb on and make buiscuts. But I can't sleep on my back usually.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually sleep on my right side; at least until the ache in my shoulder wakes me up, at which time I shift to my left side, and when that side starts aching........ Also, Bashful sleeps on one side of me, while Miss Eleanor occupies the other. I'm usually awake around 4:30 or 5a.m., and I'm just tickled as can be when my eyes actually open.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I start on my left but spend most of the night on my stomach because I breathe better. I do sleep on my right. I typically fall asleep on the couch first so I guess I'm on my right there but I also move around there. Once I'm in bed I'm on the side closest to the door because...kids! But whatever.

I am not really a morning person; but if I can wake slowly without a lot of fuss at a time when my body is ready; I just need a good 30-45 minutes and I'm better mood wise. DH knows this and is so good about it. On Sundays and sometimes other days I need to be up before I'm naturally ready he wakes me gently. I will sleep through a lot of alarm clocks but I also have bad experiences from this first clock that had been my mom's childhood alarm clock. She decided I needed to start getting myself up for school in the 5th or 6th grade and found that in my grandparent's attic. That thing was like a fire alarm going off. I'd jump out of bed so fast my legs would ache and start to collapse. Then there was my teen years when my stepdad thought waking us with a whistle in the summer to clean the house was a good idea. It's not. Ever. I'll never do that to my kids. Eventually mom got me nicer alarms. Even one that used nature sounds. But yeah the damage was done. :cringe::disappointed:

When my kids were babies I would remember having been "not nice" to DH if I'd had to get up for them when he was up for work but I hadn't slept enough. I couldn't remember what I said; just that I hadn't been nice at all. When I was working DH would find me asleep everywhere from leaning on the foot of the bed to in the shower... and places in between. I would get to work by 8 but many days it seemed like I suddenly became functional around 8:30 when I'd been there a while. I just don't feel like I was made for mornings. Ideally I get up by 10:30 and don't sleep till 2am. But lately I am out earlier than that. It does help to be on the couch with my kindle and the tv.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The right side of the bed belongs to me:)It's right next to the door, the phone and tv.I always sleep on my left side with a pillow between my knees,which helps to keep the pressure off my right knee.Mood?Never have given it any thought,but sure am grateful to wake up at all!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep on the right side of the bed. I usually wake up on my back but slightly crooked, leaning either to the left or right, depending on which leg is bent and which way my head is turned. As for my mood...that changes everyday depending on how well I slept, if I had a bad dream or not, on which day of the week it is, if I'm in pain that day or have a headache...etc...

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sleep on the left side, away from the door. I'll sleep on either side but always want to be away from the door. In this house, the left side has a nice view of the trees surrounding that part of the house and it feels like being in a treehouse.
I usually wake up tired but even with a bad night, can be in a good mood, at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I typically fall asleep on the couch first
I fall asleep on the couch with Carleton most nights too. It's become a habit. Then when I wake up, I fix his food and go up to bed.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've started sleeping on my left side again. For a while, I had been sleeping on my right side. A lot of it depends on which cat is sleeping with me at any given time.

When I first wake up, I'm OK if I've had enough sleep. If not, I'm grumpy. Since it's getting lighter outside earlier, the cats have started moving around earlier. We try to make them wait until 7:00, but for the last week or so, it's been between 6:30 and 6:45. They start moving at 6:00.