Question of the Day Feb. 7th

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you use a flea repellent on your cats and if so, what do you use. I use Advantage on Autumn starting in May and thru October applying once a month. I used it on Misty all of her life (almost 16 years) and never had a problem with fleas.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Frontline on my dogs starting when I see the first tick of the season (usually March) and continue through fall. I use Advantage on the cats if I see fleas on them. If I keep the dogs treated, there are years that go by where the cats don't pick up fleas from them. If I get them in the house (happens during bad flea years), I prefer to treat my house with food grade DE than to put poisonous things on my cats. So dog Frontline and DE is usually sufficient for me.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably should, but in 10 years of having cats (11 I guess... Mystyc is going to be 12 this summer, lol), I've never had a flea problem. (not saying it won't happen though) Tyk (Mystyc) is an indoor outdoor kitty too. The main prob she ever had with parasites was earmites she got from her mama when she was a baby. I had to treat her with earmite meds as a kitten. She loves her ears rubbed, and scratched now.

Be safe.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I usually don't treat until I find fleas on the cats. They seem to find their way onto one of the cats in late Summer or early Fall. I use the Advantage on all 4 when that happens. It's usually enough to treat them 1 or 2 times and then I don't have any more flea problems for another year.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Advantage if I see a flea or flea dirt. I think in 10 years, I've only treated a couple of times.
Same here. Trout is indoors so I think I have treated her maybe twice in her life.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution. Not as often as I should (probably every 2-4mo) since we only had a flea problem when we first got Harvey. Haven't seen a flea since. But I really like it for the heartworm prevention. I've got a full box of it in the kitty basket...just haven't put it on them yet,
. I also used Vectra once b/c it was a freebie from some pharmaceutical reps at work, but since I don't have a flea problem and it offers no HW prevention, I wasn't to excited about it. However I gave it Josh's cousin who has an outside kitty who does get fleas and she said it worked just as well as Revolution for fleas.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the time we use Frontline. I don't use it all year, only during the spring through fall months.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use to give to the kitts a good wash during the most hard heat month ( is in may) and use frontline, afortunately never got a problem with fleas but just for prevent yearly got a dosis...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outdoor cats get Revolution because they'll eat anything slow enough for them to catch.

Indoor cats get Advantage or Revolution IF I notice fleas. I regularly flea comb everyone and feel around their fur. After so many years of experience of cats and fleas I can spot if there's single flea on a cat.
But due to the fact I really hate putting a bunch of pesticides on my cats and cost, I try to avoid using them whenever possible.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Indoor only kitties here - don't need anything.

Ferals get treated with Revolution when neutered. If they ever become friendly enough for us to apply anything, we continue with Revolution.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use anything here. Nora has been outside ONCE during the entire 2 years we've had her, and that was to sit her on the grass and she bolted back inside. She has no interest in going outside so I don't see that she has a chance to contract fleas. We've never had them.