Question of the Day, August 23, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :kneading: I met a friend last week and the subject of passwords came up. You need a password for so many sites now whether to pay bills, your banking, airlines if you travel, doctors/hospital and the list goes on and on. I heard on the news that AI, (Artificial Intelligence), can obtain your saved passwords from certain Apps.:eek2: I've always just written them down in a secret notebook I keep hidden. How about you?

HOW DO YOU SAVE PASSWORDS AND HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE THEM?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to think I had a lot of passwords and pin numbers but then my kids started doing various school things online and needing their own passwords and pins! :dizzy: You should have seen my face when I had to clear my cache the other day and got signed out of everything on the computer. Twice. :lol:

I have a document where I write the kids school and computer related pins down. They both have a little note card set with a ring for keeping their own; but I wanted something as a backup. For myself it varies. With my iphone I have some set with fascial recognition. Some are straight in my brain. DH also has a handwritten document with passwords for joint things. Thats kept secure here and not on a computer itself.

I'm not sure how often I change them. Sometimes they get changed just because I don't remember them! :lol: The Department of Education makes me change my pin at least twice a year. I think regular teachers and schools might need to do it more often; but I only have to sign in there twice a year for reporting things.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a few different methods/places to save passwords because I use something different for each site. I do not change most of them unless there has been a breach of some sort but do periodically change those for financial sites. Those sites, like my bank, also are set up with multiple alerts so I am notified of certain transactions by email as they happen. My bank notifies me for example any time my card numbers are used without the card present.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a set of 13 passwords which came from a very old game plus a little additional things added. I keep those recorded on paper. Then for a website in my bookmarks, I make the bookmark include the first letter of the password. (So, for example thecatsite - z--not the actual letter). For personal use, passwords get changed only if required or there was a breach. I use a separate set of 13 for work (also recorded on paper) and cycle through them in order, changing that bookmark whenever I have to change passwords. That first letter is enough of a hint that I can get the rest of the password.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a secret notebook,too.I change them fairly often,especially the sites I use the most.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should probably specify my document is old fashioned notebook paper too. I mean what could go wrong saving a document full of passwords right on your computer? :lol:

I use two factor authentication on almost every site it’s offered too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I should probably specify my document is old fashioned notebook paper too. I mean what could go wrong saving a document full of passwords right on your computer? :lol:

I use two factor authentication on almost every site it’s offered too.
if you use excel or word you can password protect the file.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Old school. I write them down in a designated notebook and change them every so often.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I save no passwords, and I change any passwords that are related to any site that could even be vaguely financial on a regular basis. I don’t use any password managers and the passwords are written down in a notebook. I also use two factor authentication anywhere that it is offered.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a book I keep passwords in.
It depends on the site for how often I change them. Sites like this one, FB, etc. I almost never change them. But if the site has personal info on it, like my ISP account, Bank, etc. then I change it often.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a password manager, so I don't have to remember any of them. I know that I should change them fairly often, but I'm not the best about doing that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I let my phone remember most of them, and rely on my brain for the rest.

It's not the best system, lol. I often need to click on "forgot my password" :lol: