Question of the day 08/05/15

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Question of the day!

Good morning TCS ! :wavey:

When thinking of people over time and across the world, five of them mention the truly consider as great men or women. What makes them great from your perspective?:nod:

;)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think in the world today it would have to be Malala Yousafzai.  She was the youngest Nobel Prize winner recently at only 18.  She taught in underground schools for girls in Afghanistan, was a member of the Afghan parliament for a short time she quit out of frustration, was recently shot in the face by the Taliban but that hasn't stopped her.  She probably will end up living a short life but she has already accomplished so much.

There are so many in history it's hard to come up with just a handful.  In U.S. history I would say Abraham Lincoln.  He was president during this countries toughest time. 

Galileo is considered the father of modern physics.  He stood up to what are considered ridiculous ideas now but they were the ideas considered to be true during his time.

Winston Churchill spent his time in the desert so to speak before WWII but stuck to what he knew to be true.  He was the Prime Minister for Great Britain that Britain and the allies needed during the war.  He served later during peace time and didn't do a very good job but he was the right person for the job during the war.

Margaret Thatcher Not necessarily her politics but she helped break apart the stereotype about women because she was both tough and smart.

Mohatma Gandi has become the gold standard so to speak for peaceful resistance.

I guess that is six so I will stop now.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i consider people truly great who are not necessarily well known or famous, but are pretty much just regular people that are exceptional in one way or another.

1. my dad -- who was kind and caring, and went above and beyond to help people -- most often not wanting attention brought to himself for doing so.

2. my aunt -- who is simply a good and caring person.

3. my best friend -- who is always there with me, through good times and rough times.

4. my 10th grade math teacher -- who went above and beyond to motivate me and help me to enjoy learning mathematics.

5. my high school art teacher -- who truly cared about her students.