Question of Day Jan. 24

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I am opposed to declawing for anything other than the direct health or benefit of the cat.

One of my bridge boys had a dew claw removed because he had caught it on something and nearly ripped it off. It was on the vets advice that it was done.

At the time I was clueless about delawing as we never had it done or knew any one who had.

All of the excuses about the heath of the person who adopts the cat are unacceptable. If it is a risk to your health don't adopt a cat.

Also, the idea that is should be overlooked if it means the cat may be PTS because it is un-adoptable is total garbage.

Would it be better to cause great pain to the cat, then have it come back to the shelter because of behavior problems and then in the end be PTS?

I met a woman who claimed to love cats. She adopted adult cats and because of what she said were health concerns had them declawed on all four paws. When confronted about this she would declare what a good person she was because she was saving a cat from homelessness or death.

At the time that I started to become friends with her she was in the process of doing it again. I tried to talk her out of it but she refused to see the stupidity in her thinking. I no longer associate with her because of this.

However, for the sake of argument, I must admit that there are some instances where the cat does not appear to have suffered any lasting problems because of it. This still does not make it right.

I still believe that as long as people make stupid excuses to justify the barbaric practice it will continue.
I also had a friend who had all of her cats declawed. Now she wants to get yet another cat and I'm sure she will get this one declawed also. Now she has the excuse that all her cats are declawed so she has to continue that so the new cat can't scratch the others. It is a vicious circle with her. It's unfortunate and I hope she never gets another cat again unless she wises up about this situation. Our friendship is also in the past.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
100% against declawing.

I will allow the possibility of a circumstance I cannot yet imagine, in which the health of either the cat or the human it has shared its life with for years has become compromised, and the only solution is the removal of one or more of the cat's claws. But that is a remote possibility, and would need to be well proven before I would consider making an exception. No circumstance would justify the declawing of a cat in order for it to join a household. Any household that cannot accept a new member without first mutilating it, should not consider adding that new member -- whatever the species -- particularly when there are plenty of cats who have already been declawed looking for homes.

The only direct experience I have with declawed cats is the two guys we took in when their human "developed allergies" (new relationship). They had both been declawed as kittens, and, thankfully they were among the ones who did not develop behavioural issues as a result. In retrospect, I wonder if an episode when Gryphon lost his balance and fell off the porch railing could be attributed to his lack of claws, rather than, as we figured at the time, just supreme inattention because he was too busy being mushy with the humans. He was not hurt, but it certainly shook him up. He moped around for a good while and then you could practically see him grab himself by the scruff of the neck as he went down the stairs and across the yard to his private place under the forsythia, where he (presumably) did some private reality checking on the portion of the back fence that we couldn't see -- and a few minutes later strode -- and I mean STRODE -- out from the bush, jumped down from the fence and MARCHED across the yard and up the stairs, radiating "It's OK. I HAVEN'T lost it!
"

At that time, there was a lot we didn't know about declawing and its consequences, else we probably would not have taken the boys. They had been indoor kitties, but we knew we couldn't keep them in unless they didn't want to go out, because of the resident 14 year old indoor/outdoor kitty, and other issues. So when we offered to take them, it was with that understanding. These days when we hear pleas to take declawed kitties, we do try to help find a place, but we do not offer ours, for that reason.

How lovely it would be if routine declawing were illegal everywhere.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

I am completely against declawing, unless there are very specific and serious health issues with the owner. For example if the owner is on blood thinners. Otherwise, no way. I don't care how nice your new furniture/carpet/etc. is. If you have a cat that's just part of the deal.
I am completely against declawing. The line in bold disturbed me though. I am on blood thinners and would never get my girls declawed. Yes, they do scratch me on occasion and I do bleed more than the average person would, but even a paper cut bleeds more. I just clean the scratch and then place a band-aid on it. You just have to be more careful. I just don't think that is a valid reason for declawing.

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in declawing cats also because if the cat gets outside it needs to defend itself. With that said, I think that it's better for a cat to have a home and be declawed than to have to live its life at the shelter.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I am completely against declawing. The line in bold disturbed me though. I am on blood thinners and would never get my girls declawed. Yes, they do scratch me on occasion and I do bleed more than the average person would, but even a paper cut bleeds more. I just clean the scratch and then place a band-aid on it. You just have to be more careful. I just don't think that is a valid reason for declawing.
I'm not on a blood thinner but am naturally a "bleeder" and regularly take naproxen (which thins blood) - cuts on me bleed a lot, I bruise easily, and if it's a more serious wound it looks like "someone was murdered" as my BIL puts it. If you think about all the people who regularly take aspirin for different reasons it's amusing, too - they don't stop living their lives for risks of wounds.

Trim your cats claws or use caps on the claws if you're scared. Simple.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I agree with you, people on blood thinners shouldn't get their cats declawed. The danger of getting scratched isn't any bigger than danger of getting bitten. Should we get the cat's teeth out too??? of course not. Besides I've never been scratched nor bitten to a point of bleeding by Jake. He does bite while we are playing but never actually hurts me.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Declawing is illegal here!

I'm 100% against declawing.
Illegal here too, so not an issue.

I really don't know that the US will ever join the rest of us civilised countries and make it illegal.
I've heard there are vets against it but will still do the surgery if requested. I wouldn't be using any vet that did declaws.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
missymotus, I wish I knew a local vet that DIDN'T to declaws.
I bet 99% of U.S vet do them.

I am 100% declaw unless if it's health related for the cat. Even then I doubt that all of the toes would need to be removed.

As far as people wanting to adopt and have the cat declawed, I am not sure. If there is not chance of the cat being Euthed at the shelter then no, but I hate that the cats are cooped for cages for months & years. However, why couldn't the person just adopt a cat that is already declawed?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm not touching this one, as its way too heavy IMO for here....

Its a good one for IMO tho.