Question if the Day - Tuesday, May 9

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I hope you all are well on this fine Tuesday!

If there was one country you wish you were born in, what country would it be and why?

I feel I already won the lottery by being born in Canada, but if I were to choose another I would opt for Norway, Finland, Ireland or Scotland. Quality of living (contemporary-speaking), safety, beautiful land, scenery and history etc plus I have heritage already from Finland and Ireland so already feels like home.

Obviously a coin flip regarding circumstances anyway, but generally speaking in any case lol (You all know what I mean!)

200w.gif

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although I'm used to the US I haven't been too thrilled with some of it's current events shall we say. 😉 My dad had family in the UK and one of our daughters is studying there. When we visited her last summer I felt like I could live there permanently.🇬🇧

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tbh I can’t think of any. Time was I wished I was born in England, but the way things are now, I’m glad I wasn’t. I’m not pleased with Australia these days, but it seems as good a place as any.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll go along w/ Cassiopea on this, esp. health care wise. (I got so bewitched by the video, I almost forgot the question).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I’m good with where I’m at. I mean I’ve always had an interest in Italy because several of my great-grandparents came from there. But they also left for a reason. So I’ll just remind myself the grass is always greener on the other side and no place is perfect. Countries that are more laid back do sound appealing sometimes; but it would have to be a “born there” situation not a move-there one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have lived in another country, Germany. It was okay but 5 years was plenty long enough. I would rather just stick with what I know. I knew several Germans who married Americans and had lived in the U.S. for many years. They kept their German citizenship so that option was still open for them.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I was very lucky to be born in the USA at a wonderful time — 1954. I fondly remember many things. Today the entire planet is screwed up.

I suppose if I could I would be born as the Man In The Moon — looking down keeping an eye on everything ...
9c1903b98d93a6063a3f07215738fe93--the-honeymooners-first-tv.jpg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given that I was born during Harry Truman's first term as President, had I been born in Europe or Asia, it would have been into the wreckage left from World War II; while in many- if not most- other countries, it would have been under a dictatorship of one sort or another. Given, also, that my 3x great- grandfather fought the British for our independence, and one of his sons fought them again in the War of 1812, a great- grandfather fought to preserve the Union in the Civil War, and my father's younger brother died in World War II, why would I want to be born anywhere else? Is the U.S. perfect? No, it's not, but given that it was founded on the concept of individual liberty, and restraint on government, it surely beats whichever country is number two

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Canadian so I feel pretty lucky considering what's going on all over the planet. Are we perfect? Of course not...but overall we're doing pretty good. Universal health care, the "lesser of two evils" when it comes to government stuff, decent human rights laws. Natural disaster wise...we're not bad, compared to other countries anyway. We're not into taking over the world (I'm talking to you :censored: Putin!!!) and not war torn with other countris or civilly...I don't have to fear about the "big stuff" like other places. We are not poverty stricken (as a country) and not overrun by cartels or corrupt government.....in general that is ;)...
It's ain't bad being Canadian!

I do have a fondness for Ireland and Scotland but, would I want to have been born there? IDK.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm perfectly fine being born and residing in the U.S. My Ancestors came from England, Luxembourg and Germany. After researching family history on Ancestry, I now can see why they moved to the U.S. In the past I lived abroad in Italy and Japan. While visiting was an experience being there permanently may not be a perfect solution.