Question for those of you who live out in the country

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Satalite is useless when there's no power.
Or at least around here when ice storms hit there's no power for several days.

Just so everyone knows. A wireless router and the type of internet you have are two different things. The ISP may very well give good speeds but the router could be configured wrong or just dropping packets (because that's wireless tends to do) or because of room layout weakening the signal.

Also modem + router can = double NAT. If you get the modem from the ISP, ask them if it has that or look the model up. That can slow down speeds and act like a double firewall.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to sell satellite tv and internet, and if you are getting good satellite internet service, you are very lucky. Not only that, but the satellite company that supposedly has more hd channels than anyone else, a huge lie, is in chapter 11, losing channels, and the rates have gone up, they have found a way to hide it in your bill by giving you a "credit" for a few months, until they think you no longer look at your bill. They will be going up again in a few months, and the internet which is already ridiculously expensive to set up, sometimes as high as $369, plus installation, is going up again as well.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll go on a tangent like Carol did. Look for fire service also. If you buy in an area without hydrants, they have to have an alternative plan in case of a fire. When my last house caught on fire, we had to wait 15 minutes while they drove a water truck 6 miles from the station. If we didn't have 6 fire extinguishers on hand, we would have lost the house and all of the cats.