Question for the ladies

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was nervous as hell when I went for the first time about 12 years ago. I still don't enjoy the yearly visit. My doctor is male. You can request that a nurse be present for the exam if that makes you more comfortable. I know at my doctor's office, they have motivational posters on the ceiling that you can look at/read during the exam. I always tell myself just to read it from start to finish and he'll probably be done before I can finish reading. I never get to do that because he always talks to me during the exam.
My guess is that he can tell I'm nervous/uncomfortable and he's just trying to put me at ease.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. I am 24 and I just had my first one last year. I was the same as you and put it off 'cause I didn't want to do it. But after you have it done, I am sure you will feel very relieved!! I actually had a woman docter and my husband also came in the room with me so I would feel comfortable. It was not that bad. I just did not think about it too much as I was having it done. It is completely painless and very fast. So my best advice is to just relax!! Keep in mind they do this every day for many woman. Take deep breaths and did I say RELAX?! It will be over before you know it and then you will be wondering why you were so nervous in the first place! And if you want, take someone with you that you are close to and they can stand by your head or just wait in the wiating room if you would prefer.

Sending many relaxing your way!!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been getting them since I was 15 (family history of cancer/tumors/cysts/etc.). I have always gone to a female doctor, and I figure they see so many "hoo-ha's" a day they can't remember one from the next anyway. It's never as big of a deal as you thought it'd be. When I was in high school the doctor was my friend from schools dad!! Could you imagine ever going over to their house to hang out after that?! So I used to see his nurse for my exams.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
some tips: if you aren't currently sexually active - TELL THEM! it makes a difference as to which size speculum is used. my 1st exam, [i think i was 18?] i didn't know to tell them, & no one asked... until the doctor couldn't even find my cervix! after quite a bit a pain, he asked how often i had sex... at that point [actually, even now, i'm proud to say] i had NEVER had sex. he immediately switched to his smallest speculum, & the problem was solved!
i now make a point to tell the nurse to get out the smallest speculum. when i was MO, i'd say, "i'm not small anywhere else - but i am there!"

i also do the deep breathing thing [learned via biofeedback, originally done to help my migraines - didn't]. & after several completely normal PAPs, i no longer have to have them. my PCP told me that very few virgins get cervical cancer.
they are more prone to ovarian cancer, so i recently had an ultrasound of my ovaries.
probably TMI, huh?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have time to read the previous posts; just want to say to ask for a female doctor if you think that will help you relax.

When I was 18 I had my first pap test with my mother's doctor. He was an old guy, and while he was examining me, he said, "You look just like your mother." I was HORRIFIED. I didn't realize until later he might have mean my face, but he wasn't looking at my face while he said it!

It's really not bad, and it's over very quickly, and you get used to it. Good luck!