Question for Siamese breeders/Owners

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually heard that Meezers tend to be a bit... dumb... actually. As Molly is only a half breed, I have no idea if this is true, however, i have noticed and heard tell that cats with blue eyes tend to have vision problems, and this is certainly evident in Molly, as she has problems tracking toys as they move, unless they are doing so at a certain angle from her eye. She also misjudges distance at night.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother loved Siamese and she got our first Siamese, when I was just a child. He was the sweetest most loving cat we had ever had. He used to rotate sleeping with each of us kids nightly. I have never forgotten Chang, he made me fall in love with Siamese.

When I was a teenager, I got my own Siamese cat, paid for him with my own money, my beloved Snoopy who lived to be 20 years old. He passed away this past February. Right now, I have 2 Siamese, one old style, Shane and 1 modern style, SunLee, along with my Bengal, Simba. Shane loves his Mama, me, more than anything else in the world. SunLee is a sweet genteel little Princess. I love Siamese cats. There's nothing like having a wonderful Meezer in your life.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PrissyKitty

I am kind of curious, are purebred Siamese cats considered more intelligent than other breeds? I have never had a Siamese, but I think they are beautiful. I have just "heard" from owners and breeders (who are biased of course) that Siamese are above average intelligence when it comes to cats.

Has anyone owned or bred a different breed before adding a Siamese to the family? Did you notice a difference in intelligence?
My TWO are VERY INTELLIGENT BUT my Tabbies were(Corkie) and are (Benji) even MORE intelligent!

Corkie did and Benji DOES know everything that goes on. Who is doing what, where and to whom and (unfortunately for me) BOTH were/are great escape artists!

Kotton (apple head) and Panther (new kind) are BOTH the most loving though! Panther loves to lie in my lap and be petted and while Kotton would complain if I tried to get her in my lap she WILL come and sit down beside me an purr and she IS there for me if I am sad!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by megmar6853

.......... There is NO truth that Siamese are mean.........
Well they ARE to other cats! Or at least they are VERY territorial!
Kotton tried to get rid of Corkie from the time I adopted her (kotton) and now that Corkie has passed, Kotton is after poor Missy!

BUT your are right about being loving as to ME she(Kotton) is a true blue Sweetheart!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tailsoluv

Hi Sarah,
........................................... I, too, would love to see the Old Style cats on the show bench, but that is not likely to happen anytime soon. TICA does not allow Old Style cats to show. Only two associations, both very tiny and with very limited physical show schedules, allow the Old Style cats to show as anything other than household pets. Those two are ICE (International Cat Enthusiants) based in the Pacific Northwest and UFO (United Feline Organization) based in Florida.

Barb Amalfi
Barb that is just like the Standard Poodle! They keep trying to say they HAVE to be soliid as that is how they started out. BUT they are wrong as they USED to be Parti Color.

Guess those who make the rules for cat shows are just like those in the AKC - they want what THEY want and dont care about what is right!

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Holly and Mika (both modern) have two very obviously distinct personalities, but both are very loving.

Mika is an "IN YOUR FACE", exhuberant clumsy goof that loves to sit on us. He's what I might call overly loving, especially when he's waking you up at 6am on a Saturday by kissing your face for an hour! He talks (loudly) when he has something important to say, and will carry on full conversations about it. He will tolerate anything we do to him, from cuddling him like a baby, clipping his nails, and all sorts of things, with little fuss.

Holly is very demure, petite, and graceful. She has a tiny chirping voice which is completely opposite Mika. But, she does talk a lot. She's still quite timid but she still insists on pettings although she doesn't like to be picked up. Doesn't like her nails clipped at all. I think that's all an act, because she's more of a hellion too... she actually showed Mika how fun it was to get up on the counter (he never did before she came), and while Mika was a perfect gentleman while we were gone when he was a lone kitty, now we routinely come home to something strewn all over the house. She's been a bad influence on him!

I would say they are both very intelligent, far more than any other cat I've had, Mika in particular. His antics have had us just about floored before. Hubby agrees, he's never seen a smarter cat (of course!!)

tailsoluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are trying to say, but that is a much too simplistic take on what actually goes on in the cat fancy. The first of the truly modern-type cats came on the show bench in the mid-1950s - a cat named Fan-T-Cee's Tee Cee. He was SO extreme that he made today's show cats look shortheaded. However, if you had been privy to the written standard for the Siamese cats, as far back as 1902 it called for a cat with a "long, weasel-like head". This was the standard toward which Siamese breeders were breeding. When a cat who was finally born who met that goal, it is no surprise that the judges liked the type on the cat as did the Siamese breeders themselves. It is actually the breeders in most registries who control what is on the show bench. As a matter of fact, the reason there are so many registries in the cat fancy is that cat people disagree on how things are and different registries fulfill different needs for different people. Cat shows are a sport, no matter how you look at them. If enough people TRULY wanted the Old Style cats back on the show bench - and by this I mean SERIOUS Old Style breeders such as Gaye Flagg - not just those people who are breeding the old cats to fulfill a marketing niche - and those breeders were scattered around the various regions of the registries and showed their cats in the Miscellaneous or AOV classes and were committed to showing them - then they could probably be re-introduced onto the show bench in most of the registries except CFA, whose breeders rarely wish to acknowledge that their modern show cats are descended from the Old Style cats. Old Style cats, however, are defined by their pedigrees - NOT the fact that their type may appear to be old style. No major registries accept TCA (Traditional Cat Association) pedigrees, so those cats who are not currently registered with one of the accepted registries and are only registered in TCA may not be used to breed into an Old Style breeding program. By no means show TCA (Traditional Cat Association) be mistaken for TICA (The International Cat Association).

So, just as a very slight take on what would be required to get these cats back on the show bench, you can see that it is not impossible, but it is highly improbable.

Barb Amalfi