Question for owners of cats who are on behavioral medication.

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been on behavioral meds for 2 months now. I know cats get put on behavioral meds for overgrooming, but he was put on them for interact aggression. Since starting the med I’ve noticed him groom way less than normal, and the appearance of his fur coat decline. Has anyone else had this experience?
He is on Paroxetine (Paxil) 5mg daily. One of the listed side effects online is decreased grooming, but just curious of others experiences.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a kitty who's been on Prozac for awhile for litterbox issues. I have noticed a change in her coat as well. It looks greasy now, but it's still soft. He also doesn't seem to groom as much or as often, but he is still grooming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty who's been on Prozac for awhile for litterbox issues. I have noticed a change in her coat as well. It looks greasy now, but it's still soft. He also doesn't seem to groom as much or as often, but he is still grooming.
Does it look similar to this?
IMG_9387.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The 'shelf' look, like in that picture, does seem to happen with less grooming, although some cats have that look anyway. Regardless, regular brushing should help with the appearance and compensate for the reduced grooming.