Question...can cats be gay?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Play Abba's The Dancing Queen, then anything by Johnny Cash. 

He'll clean himself to one, and walk out of the room to the other, and there's your answer!

I hope he and Harley are very happy together... but in the meantime, watch the girls!  It could be a ploy.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he doesn't right himself when falling, does he do ther 'clumsy' things? As mentioned above, he may be very slow to mature. Or, he could have a slight developmental disorder that doesn't trigger the sexual part of his brain. We had a male cat that suffered a blow to his head as a kitten (a board fell, clipping the top of his head) and while he matured physically, he was very delayed in gaining other skills, specifically survivor skills. He still nursed his mother at well over a year old, fell off furniture and did not right himself and we never observed sexual interest or spraying/territorial behavior from this kitty. He was always right next to his mother when he was outside. Looking back, he was a very interesting kitty, I wish I had been into cat behavior as much back then as I am now, I would have paid closer attention. :lol3:

I'd still get him and the females fixed. It benefits their overall health in the long run.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I had forgotten about this! That was Napoleon. He's fine now, we did break down and take him to the neuter clinic the following spring so that was taken care of and he weathered the surgery just fine. He still wanders in some times in the winter but most of the time he's completely happy outside. In this house, we have a closed in porch where they can stay during really cold nights so they are separated from the other cats.

He is a funny cat, still dumb as a doorknob, but lovable as can be!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not to worry you needlesly...but are your 100% positive the male hasn't done the horizontal mambo with at least one of your girls? It is possible that you didn't see nor hear them going at it?  When Rosie was not yet spayed, one of our neutered males had sex with her--at least 3 times that I saw (she was in heat). They would go behind a piece of furniture, and were VERY quiet about it (I only them because I sensed a cat had walked into the room while I was at the pc). No yowling, etc.

Also, maybe he's so hungry the immediate need for food surpasses the desire for sex?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 100% positive since the original post was from 3 years ago and no kittens from my girls, lol. Napolean was neutered and Missy and Corky were spayed since then and everyone has lived happily ever after. But it still seemed weird to me...here were 2 girls, all primed and ready, and he follows another male around. I don't know, maybe he was trying to ask for advice? But Harley (neutered) was a bad one to get advice from! 

keekee17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat the same way. Before me and my sister got our cats fixed I locked them in a room for the day.  NOTHING!!! she rolled around, meowed, and got close to him. He just sat there, even moved away from her lol. he has never showed any intrest in female cats at all. ive been woundering the same thing

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
this is so funny. i was just talking to my husband about this. i have 3 cats. Seven, Stark and Bandit. Seven and Bandit are fixed, stark is still young but wil be getting fixed soon. Bandit is the only girl. I already caught Seven trying to hump Stark, and those two just follow each other around and are playing constantly and constantly cuddling. they are so precious. maybe they can be gay....who knows!