Question about vaccines

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for posting so much in one day, but just had one more (I hope!) question for you guys.

My kitten goes in to get her shots on Tuesday, (distemper & deworming,// I'll be getting her tested for the feline leukemia later this month& getting the shot when I get more money) my roommate was telling me to make sure when she gets the leukemia vaccines that they don't give them to her in her shoulders because they have been known to cause tumors, so I was wondering if it is that way with all vaccines, do I need to make sure they don't give any of them in her shoulders, or is it just the leukemia vaccines?

As always, thanks for the help!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The leukemia vaccine is controversial. It's not 100% effective and can cause a lot of side effects (yes, one being vaccine-site cancer). If she doesn't go outside unattended or live with a FeLV+ cat, there's no reason at all that she should need that vaccine.

Usually, the vaccine site protocol is to give the rabies vaccine in the right thigh, leukemia in the left thigh, and distemper/combo in the scruff. Not all vets follow that protocol, but you can ask them to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good to know, thank you! She is an indoor kitty, so I may just hold off on the vaccine.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FleshFlowers

Good to know, thank you! She is an indoor kitty, so I may just hold off on the vaccine.
Please hold off that vaccine if your kitten won't go outside - it can have bad side effects, and it is the vaccine with the highest risk of carcinoma. Good cat only vets will not give that vaccine to inside only cats. Not that nor FIV either. All my 3 cats came with a contract that I would never give them that shot. My vet is a vaccine minimalist - after the cat is 3 years old, he only gives the 3/4 in one shot every 3 years. For rabies, it is law-mandated, but I will get a teeter test for them soon - they can have it after 5.

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just now saw this reply :/
Thank you for your answers, I will not be getting her the vaccine. as she is an indoor only kitty

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my two kitties just get the FVRCP vacc as they are only indoors. My vet does that one every two years. Rabies I do every 3 years but since cats don't have to be licensed I am wondering if I should forego that one too. I won't give the leukemia vacc at all. My female used to get it because she was a clinic cat, but now that she is a home cat she won't get it anymore. My other cat got it once and I won't get it anymore. My aunt's cat got a vaccine sarcoma and he eventually had to be put down as he was too old for radical surgery and the tumor was up near the shoulder blade, where they shouldn't even be giving that vaccine. The protocol at my clinic is if you are going to give it, they vaccinate as low as possible on the left rear leg. The theory is so if the tumor does occur then you can amputate lower. I just avoid it all together as I don't even want to contemplate that.

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response

My kitten was born May 13, 2011. The lady that I got her from did not take the kittens to the vet at all. So, she got her first FVRCP vaccine on the 12th of July. They put it in her scruff of her neck, so I hope that was okay.. I hope nothing happens
That's the only shot she received. It says on the paper that it was FVRCP Annual Vaccination, but I remember hearing or seeing that kittens should get two of the FVRCP vaccines.. 3 weeks apart, and then every 3 years. Is that correct? I'm a little confused about vaccines and I don't want to over vaccinate my kitten. I've heard stories of vets doing it because they just aren't educated enough or are in it for the money.

I also notice that when they gave her her liquid dewormer, it says for the description "Strongid" I googled that and it says dewormer for horses?!?! Can someone fill me in here, I hope that's a brand name for more than one kind cause.... wow. I'm scared

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice. But, I never let my rabies shots slide.

None of my cats go outside, but that does not mean something could not get inside. Bats are notorious for finding their way into homes. We have had two family members get them in their houses. My daughter had one, and her cat was not up to date on the rabies vac. Bat had to be caught and tested. Needless to say, they were stressed to the max waiting for the result. Yes, it was neg, but took a toll on their nerves and they learned a good lesson.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DONT WORRY about the strongid. Its a SAFE wormer that is split down in dose from the horse wormer to save costs in high cat numbers/shelters! I deworm my cats with it, its just a cheaper version of drontal cat worm pill minus the part that kils tapeworms(Praziquantel). so what she got was dewormed for hook and roundworms.

kaikrishna1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will they make you liscence your cats if you give them the rabies vaccine? What a crock of crap.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaikrishna1111

Will they make you liscence your cats if you give them the rabies vaccine? What a crock of crap.
I know they do here in Missouri. Or at least in my city in Missouri. It is a revenue source for them.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabies exists in 49 states - I would never pass on that shot, unless/until my cats are in bad enough health that my vet advised against it. And mine are inside kitties. My advice - work with your vet regarding the shots for your cat. Being an inside cat does not make them invulnerable - unless you too live in bubble and never bring anything in with you.

I really don't see vaccinations as being a huge revenue center for a vet - and just discuss current protocols with your vet....if she's good enough to work with your pet, she'll be up to date on current protocols and explain why she recommends whatever immunizations for you to consider.

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten is getting her rabies shot, she just isn't old enough yet. I was just concerned about over vaccinating her with the FVRCP, as I read some say to do it every year, some say every 3 years, and how many she should get as a kitten.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FleshFlowers

My kitten is getting her rabies shot, she just isn't old enough yet. I was just concerned about over vaccinating her with the FVRCP, as I read some say to do it every year, some say every 3 years, and how many she should get as a kitten.
They'll probably give her another FVCRP shot when she gets her rabies shot (note: this is pretty standard, but some cats do have reactions when 2 vaccines are given on the same day. Just so you know). The main thing with vaccinating kittens is that the last FVCRP shot be given after 16 weeks of age, the total number of shots doesn't matter.

And, yes, Strongid is safe for kitties. My vet uses it, too. Pyrantel Pamoate is actually the safest de-wormer available, and Strongid is just a cheap and easy way to give it.