Question about their coats

redwolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats who are about a year and 8 months old. When I got them they looked like little silver foxes. They lost most of it over time, and were mostly black cats by the time they were 9 or 10 months old. I was just wondering if anyone knew what could cause a coat to look like it does? Does it come from a specific breed or is it something else?

Here's the pics of them:

Then:

Now (you can kinda see the white hairs on Luka, the kitty on the bottom of the pic):

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What beautiful kitties :clap: :rbheart:

The silver they had as kittens which has grown out is called "coat fever" ;)

Coat fever happens when the mom cat had an infection while the kittens where in the womb. Kittens have a fever coat ( silver ) when born but it fades and by the time they are about 6-10 months it has gone completely. I don't think it has any effect long term.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redwolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh ok, thats good to know. We took them to the vet only a couple days after getting them since they were picked up off the street and the vet said they were in perfect health, blood tests came back clean and the overall condition of them was wonderful. She didnt believe us at first that they were strays lol. I'm glad to hear the fever coat wont hurt them any. I was almost hoping it was genetic (even though they're already fixed, lol)