question about showing altered cats?

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that the breed alter class(es) can be just as competitive as the other since many alters are retired breeders that already have granded or championed in the regular class. So the alter class is not just made up of cats that didn't quite measure up for use as breeders. Is this right?

I think it may also weed out people who thought they wanted to show and go into breeding but once they try it and find out what it takes they drop out.

I used to show salukis and whippets. Most dog breeders feel that a dog is either show quality or it's not. To dog breeders show quality and breeding quality are usually the samething. If it's not then it is petted out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the alter classes were first established (this from comments from judges) - they were ones that didn't measure up. Now a lot of judges comment about the quality being better then the championship cats.

You are right - a lot of them (especially the Persians, Maine Coons, Burmese, and Brits) are retired breeding cats that have at least championed or granded and are not back in the show ring as an alter.

Sometimes I feel that's not quite fair.....
I just have more fun with the alters and don't have to worry about calling females or males that want to breed everything in sight

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt if the purebred kennel clubs will ever allow s/n or mixed breeds in the conformation at dog shows. It just seems really unlikely. I also don't really understand why they started allowing them in the cat shows, the only reason I can think of is because it can be really difficult to show unaltered cats, more so than dogs. I love that they allow them in the cat shows though, and especially the HHP category is great!
The AKC does allow s/n purebreds to compete in any category except conformation though and they recently put out a survey asking owners if they thought they should allow s/n mixed breeds to compete in those categories as well. Hopefully they will decide to allow mixes to compete!

I have been to several special kind of dog shows where they actually had a "conformation" category for mixed breed and purebred dogs with no qualifications necessary. One was the H.E.L.P. Household Pet Show and one was the Great American Mutt Show. I love those shows! They did not judge on breed standards and had a lot of fun categories. The Household Pet show had a separate judging for mixed breed conformation and purebred and the judging for both of those was similar to the way they just the HHP class for cats. The Mutt Show IIRC did both purebreds and mutts in the same category but only the mutts were allowed to win Best in Show, the purebreds could win 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc though. Both shows also had other categories you could enter like things about appearance (largest/smallest dog, etc) and things like Best Trick, Dog/Owner lookalike, and other categories. We won prizes and ribbons for placing in the different categories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

My understanding is that the breed alter class(es) can be just as competitive as the other since many alters are retired breeders that already have granded or championed in the regular class. So the alter class is not just made up of cats that didn't quite measure up for use as breeders. Is this right?

I think it may also weed out people who thought they wanted to show and go into breeding but once they try it and find out what it takes they drop out.

I used to show salukis and whippets. Most dog breeders feel that a dog is either show quality or it's not. To dog breeders show quality and breeding quality are usually the samething. If it's not then it is petted out.
Not all "show/breeding" quality dogs are bred tho. Some people put dogs up in the ring just to show what their dogs have produced... granted there's always the possability of breeding the dogs, but not always.

I know there are non-conformation events... UKC allows mixes to compete in non-conformation events, they offer an ILP listing for all altered dogs. I beleive they also allow mixes in Jr Handling as well.. but Jr Showmanship is about judging the handler's abilities.. not the dog.

My Crested was sold to me as a pet because "he doesnt have the furnishings that's preferred in the ring".. he's very nice for a true hairless.. if there was an alter class, I'd put him up in the ring for the fun, to see how he compares. Not many people like to show trues.. they prefer the hairier Cresteds that have the flashy furnishings. I'd like the experience of showing, but I dont really want to deal with keeping an intact animal.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the main reason for a cat alter class is that a lot of people want to show cats, but aren't willing to put up with an intact cat. Intact dogs are not nearly as obnoxious as intact cats. You can live with a unneutered dog for his entire life, but it's rare for an indoor cat (even a breeding tom) to remain intact for more than a couple years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
intact dogs can be pretty obnoxious too.

However I think the most annoying thing on earth would have to be a female cat in heat!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

However I think the most annoying thing on earth would have to be a female cat in heat!
They can be really annoying. However when Roxy went into heat right before she was supposed to be spayed, all she did was act more affectionate and walk around the house going, "prrrow? prrrow?" No yowling or trying to escape or irritating the other cats or anything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

Most of the obnoxious behaviors associated with an intact dog are training issues. Many people have very well-behaved show dogs; there's not reason to let your intact dog be obnoxious. Of course most pet dogs should still be altered anyway.

Cats in heat are a pain, but I do think an intact male cat is THE most obnoxious thing! Unless it's a Siamese female in heat.....

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

They can be really annoying. However when Roxy went into heat right before she was supposed to be spayed, all she did was act more affectionate and walk around the house going, "prrrow? prrrow?" No yowling or trying to escape or irritating the other cats or anything.
Two of my girls are in heat at the moment - Flutterby (2) and Fluffy (11 months)
Flutterby has already had 10 kittens in the last 12 months and Fluffy's in the middle of her show career.
My kitten Tales (14 weeks) is perplexed by the behaviour of these two!