Question about separating 1 year old siblings

wintermelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I currently have 3 cats who are siblings and are all about 1 year old. 2 brothers, 1 sister. I have to move out of the country for school and plan to have all 3 cats stay with my parents.

The complication is: When the kittens were small, they were taken care of by a good friend of mine who was unable to take them in at that time (financial reasons). He really liked one of the brothers and wants to take him back (he is perfectly capable of taking care of the cat now) and has another cat (2 years old) to be his buddy. I do think he loves that cat more than I do, but I am unsure of the affect on his sister as they have never been separated. The other brother (the alpha of the group) has been separated from the other two for 2 weeks before and they seemed to be fine.

Overall the 3 of them get along quite well, play and chase each other, groom each other all the time, once in a while sleep in a pile together (on my desk). I'm not sure if their bond is classified as "inseparable" but I would like to do what is best for them.

Scenario 1: All 3 cats with my parents - they will be first time cat owners though. But I have an aunt who is very experienced and will be happy to help them out. And of course I will teach them everything to look out for as well.

Scenario 2: 1 cat will go back to my friend, who will spoil him rotten (probably more so than I) and the other 2 will stay with my parents and at least have each other.

Which arrangement would be the most ideal?

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any big change will cause anxiety in cats. In my opinion, the three will have an easier time adapting at your parents house because they are going to be together in the transition. The one who you plan to give to your friend, will have to adjust to a new place, new human and new cats.

But there is also the possibility that your cats will do well whatever scenario you choose. It depends on the kitty's personality.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wintermelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your thoughtful input!

Last edited:

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like whatever you choose will work out fine. All options will be a very big change. Go with your gut. And make sure that, if you give the cat to the friend, he knows how to properly introduce his resident cat to your cat.