Question about scabbing under cat’s eye

Sergel02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat has been tearing for a few months and we took him last week to the vet for his usual check up. Everything looked fine, and two vets attribute the tears to possible feline herpes, but since his eyes were red and he wasn’t uncomfortable it wasn’t anything to worry about.

For some reason though the past few days it’s scabbing over a bit more. One scab came off and is all red and raw, with some light bleeding. I know with feline herpes there can be some skin issues.

He doesn’t seem too bothered by it though he doesn’t want us touching it. But otherwise he’s eating and playing fine, and no issues. He’s not touching his face more than usual. He does wince if you touch that area though but will clean himself there fine.

We spent over $100 on the last visit, and spends thousands recently on his brother (who we had to put down sadly) so I’m trying to see if this may be something just to keep an eye on, if we should schedule with a vet, or if anyone has any other suggestions.

He’s around 15 lbs, 4.5 years old, neutered, and otherwise healthy. It’s settled down a bit but still there.

Attachments

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat has been tearing for a few months and we took him last week to the vet for his usual check up. Everything looked fine, and two vets attribute the tears to possible feline herpes, but since his eyes were red and he wasn’t uncomfortable it wasn’t anything to worry about.

For some reason though the past few days it’s scabbing over a bit more. One scab came off and is all red and raw, with some light bleeding. I know with feline herpes there can be some skin issues.

He doesn’t seem too bothered by it though he doesn’t want us touching it. But otherwise he’s eating and playing fine, and no issues. He’s not touching his face more than usual. He does wince if you touch that area though but will clean himself there fine.

We spent over $100 on the last visit, and spends thousands recently on his brother (who we had to put down sadly) so I’m trying to see if this may be something just to keep an eye on, if we should schedule with a vet, or if anyone has any other suggestions.

He’s around 15 lbs, 4.5 years old, neutered, and otherwise healthy. It’s settled down a bit but still there.
My youngest boy also gets this too and its not even constantly, it just randomly flares up a tiny bit and then just disappears for a long time. Likewise he physically doesn't have anything abnormal going on and is seemingly healthy, and does not act different in anyway. It's usually always cleaned up around the same time I notice it too, though I do try from time to time, and he doesn't pull back due to me specifically targeting that area, but more so that I'm bringing the cleaning pads to his face. I can touch his face at any other time, its just specifically when I'm actually trying to help him that he doesnt let me lol.

Will keep an eye out here as it's something I've been curious about too.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried chamomile tea? Brew a cup, allow it to cool, then put some on a cotton ball and dab on the sore area. That area looks crazy inflamed and raw. I'm surprised they didn't give you something for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sergel02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My youngest boy also gets this too and its not even constantly, it just randomly flares up a tiny bit and then just disappears for a long time. Likewise he physically doesn't have anything abnormal going on and is seemingly healthy, and does not act different in anyway. It's usually always cleaned up around the same time I notice it too, though I do try from time to time, and he doesn't pull back due to me specifically targeting that area, but more so that I'm bringing the cleaning pads to his face. I can touch his face at any other time, its just specifically when I'm actually trying to help him that he doesnt let me lol.

Will keep an eye out here as it's something I've been curious about too.
Thanks, I’ve been afraid to clean it too much and irritate it but I may try a little more.

Have you tried chamomile tea? Brew a cup, allow it to cool, then put some on a cotton ball and dab on the sore area. That area looks crazy inflamed and raw. I'm surprised they didn't give you something for it.
ooh I have chamomile tea I think so I’ll try that if he lets me lol.
It of course didn’t look that bad when we went to the vet. Only afterwards it got worse.

We do have an indoor outdoor cat for the past year or so but I wonder if she stresses our other cat out. She played with his brother until he died so now tries to play with our fluffy cat but he always runs away. Not hissing or fighting though.

Sergel02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you send the pic to the vet via email and ask if there's anything you can do with it.
I called today and asked and the receptionist said she can let the doctor know and see if they want a pic or bring him in. Bringing him in would be best but it’s so stressful for him.

They are a good practice but we’re thinking of trying a new vet only 5 minutes away so it’s hopefully less traumatizing.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wouldn’t use anything near the eye. Just leave it alone. If it scabs up, the scab is protecting the skin. Cats heal well on their own and you don’t want to put anything that close to the eye.

By all means, take him to the vet if you are able. Also wash your hands after touching him and before touching another cat, since it could be passed from him to your hands to another cat.

Sergel02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh an update for those wondering. We went back to our usual vet though a different pet examined him. They recommended some ophthalmic ointment over the counter, and ordered some eye drops. Idoxuridine. It's all been helping reducing the scabbing! The hard part is getting the eye drops in lol.