Question about Ringworm

amytar16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my kitten had ringworm at 12 weeks old. This was 20 months ago. She did well getting over it. No one else in my home got ringworm (3 dogs, husband or myself). My question is how long did you worry about the spores in your home. I have PTSD from this experience and still worry about it being in my environment. Lol. I have cleaned like crazy, but I keep finding areas I may have missed. It’s hard to clean everywhere. I am just curious how others dealt with it. Anyone have a reoccurrence months later? The internet had such conflicting information. Some sites say it can last 12 months, some say 18 months and some say as long as 24 months. Any insight/support/success stories would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Barley had ringworm years ago and no other cats (or human) was infected considering that we were living at a cramped apartment. After he healed I still continued with my daily vacuum, mopping floors with bleach and twice a week changing of bed sheets etc. I also threw out some carpets and towels.

I think you are doing great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amytar16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I just want to get to a place where I don't think/worry about it anymore! Lol

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can relate to how you feel. You’re not alone.

My cat was suspected to have ringworm last year as she had a round 2.5cm diameter bald spot on the side of her neck. 2 vets say it’s ringworm but no culture test was done. They sent me home with antifungal and I bought the Malaseb bath to bathe both cats. I did the crazy daily cleaning like your did for 6 weeks. It was tiring, gave me anxiety and worried that my other cat was going to get it. Good thing no one else did.

After the 6 weeks of treatment and cleaning, I took her to another vet who didn’t think it was ringworm and just flea allergy 😓 Since then I stopped the crazy cleaning.The spot healed after 5 days of Prednisolone, fur grew back quickly and I was more than relieved to let go of the craziness. This episode has also thought me to always keep my house clean and check my cat’s fur regularly for anything suspicious.

I think you should just try to relax and not let it take control of your well being. There are many other things in life to save your worry and anxiety for. This is not one of it. So try your best to chill, maybe start by skipping a day of cleaning, then 2 and I believe you will get more comfortable soon. Your cat is happy and healthy now. You are already armed with the knowledge of this battle. You will be ready next time it happens (Let’s hope it never happens again!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amytar16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can relate to how you feel. You’re not alone.

My cat was suspected to have ringworm last year as she had a round 2.5cm diameter bald spot on the side of her neck. 2 vets say it’s ringworm but no culture test was done. They sent me home with antifungal and I bought the Malaseb bath to bathe both cats. I did the crazy daily cleaning like your did for 6 weeks. It was tiring, gave me anxiety and worried that my other cat was going to get it. Good thing no one else did.

After the 6 weeks of treatment and cleaning, I took her to another vet who didn’t think it was ringworm and just flea allergy 😓 Since then I stopped the crazy cleaning.The spot healed after 5 days of Prednisolone, fur grew back quickly and I was more than relieved to let go of the craziness. This episode has also thought me to always keep my house clean and check my cat’s fur regularly for anything suspicious.

I think you should just try to relax and not let it take control of your well being. There are many other things in life to save your worry and anxiety for. This is not one of it. So try your best to chill, maybe start by skipping a day of cleaning, then 2 and I believe you will get more comfortable soon. Your cat is happy and healthy now. You are already armed with the knowledge of this battle. You will be ready next time it happens (Let’s hope it never happens again!)
Thank you! It has totally taken on a life of its own that’s for sure! It really helps to have others tell me what I already know I need to do, but can‘t see to do, lol. I will try to stop cleaning like you said. It’s a good idea to ease out of what had become a habit. Thanks again! 😊

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It has totally taken on a life of its own that’s for sure! It really helps to have others tell me what I already know I need to do, but can‘t see to do, lol. I will try to stop cleaning like you said. It’s a good idea to ease out of what had become a habit. Thanks again! 😊
Hey dear. Just checking in to see how you’re doing :)