Question About Rescued A Female, Intact Cat

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long story short- I rescued a female cat last night from a neighborhood storm drain. She had a litter of kittens on July 1, 2019. Those kittens are huge and weaned and are being adopted.
Since the cat last gave birth on 7/1/19, she has had access to the outdoors. My understanding is she would come and go from the persons house who asked for help to rescue the cat.

Given that she is intact and has had outdoor access, what are the odds that she has mated again? Its been 12 weeks since her last litter. I am just wondering whether she might currently be pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can take her to the vet this week.

So far I have given her a treatment of Revolution and Deormer. She has a huge appetite!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are her sides showing?

There is a high likelihood that she is pregnant again, and may be several weeks along. An ultrasound would confirm a pregnancy.

M MaceYoda

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can spay her NOW without problems. Especielly as she isnt clearly showing.
So, unless you are eager to have a new batch of kittens, consider strongly to spay / abort her now, even if she is prob pregg.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is really kind of you to help that cat, who was probably living a miserable life. I am also going to err on the side of pregnancy until you find out more and I would spay if that were the case, but it would be your decision.

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My local humane society doesnt have an opening for spay surgery until Oct 20. She will definitely get spayed and is on lockdown within my home. Thus, there will be no further mating. However, if she is pregnant and has kittens, there is a great rescue organization in town which will adopt them out and provide vet care. I would be the foster home until the kittens reach 6 weeks or so.

The momma cat hasn't nursed her 12 week old kittens in a few weeks, but her nipples are still protruding. Would this suggest pregnant again? See picture. I am getting her a checkup at the vet next Tuesday so will know for sure then.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would be the foster home until the kittens reach 6 weeks or so.
Why 6 weeks? What happens after this? They are still too young to be adopted out, if there arent no dire emergency behind. And here there will be momma, siblings and a good fostering home. No need to haste and force things.

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They (hypotheticsl kittens if the mother is pregnant) will be welcomr to stay with me as long as they want to :)
Sorry for spelling errors. Phone typing problems.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, 12 weeks is considered to be a reasonable time for adoption. Kittens don't complete cat trains by mom cat until then. Other wise, rehoming kitten prior to 12 weeks may produce an adult cat with some behavior problems!

Thatnkyou for the rescue and kitten raising!