Question about rehydrating freeze-dried food

Dodahm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently started making a switch to freeze-dried food from 80% canned food + 20% dried food. She was on a prescription diet for suspected ibd without apparent symptoms. Now that the swelling in her intestines is gone, I would like to put her on a healthier diet as I didn't like the ingredients of the prescription can. However, she pretty much refuses all types of wet food, except for tuna-based ones and her original prescription can, so I am trying freeze-dried instead.

I have a question about rehydrating freeze-dried food. It seems like it takes 30+ minutes to fully rehydrate them, rather than 10 minuted as written on the package of most products. My cat is quite a picky eater and she won't finish or even touch her rehydrated food if there's some water left in the plate. She rarely drinks water from her water bowl so I need to make sure that it's well-hydrated.

So I was wondering if it's okay to rehydrate one day's worth of food in the refrigerator to make sure that they are fully rehydrated over a long time before I microwave a serving to a warm temperature and serve it to her. Is this going to allow bacteria to grow since it will be sitting in the wet form for a while even if it's refrigerated? Would appreciate some advice!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's fine to rehydrate the food and keep it in the refrigerator. I can't answer the question about microwaving the food (we don't have a microwave oven!) but I can say that when I used to feed raw food I spread it out on the plate, which brings it to room temperature pretty quickly.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you add water and microwave it will rehydrate much quicker. The only thing to watch for is it's pretty hot and must cool down a bit.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you rehydrating it with warm to hot water? That's what I use and it rehydrates pretty quickly. I don't think it's ever taken even 10 minutes, but I guess it might depend on what brand you are using. I've done it with Stella and Chewy, Primal, Feline Natural and Fresh Is Best. But I will say that I have not ever actually measured the water to food ratio. I just eyeball it. And I break up the food into smaller chunks so it absorbs more of the water, but I do not completely crush it as my raw eater doesn't like "pate".

If you microwave the refrigerated food later, be sure not to do it on high. I think most people warm up raw food by setting it in a bowl of warm water (with the food being in a ittle baggy or something similar) vs the microwave. If I EVER warm their food in the microwaive, I do it on the defrost cycle for just a couple of seconds, stir it, test it, and repeat if necessary.