Question about rabies vaccine; first booster and 1-year vs 3-years

trishia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our pair of kitten will be getting their first rabies vaccine in about two weeks; we were told it would be the recombinant/non-adjuvenated 1-year Purevax version. Now it appears that PureVax has a 1-year version and a 3-year version - where the dose is apparently the same, it's just the label (and price) that differs to abide by different laws?

My question is more about the actual schedule of vaccination in kittens though; I was hoping to get the 3-year version but do kittens require their first booster at the 1-year mark regardless? And then they can be moved to a 3-year schedule? Or can they go three years after the first dose? Information online sort of states 1-year but nothing is exactly really clear, and none of the pages mention anything about the type of vaccines it applies to.

Thanks!

Oh, should mention that I'm in Canada, but I would assume the same guidelines are followed here as in the US.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought, but it's good to confirm! So then I won't bother trying to find a clinic that offers a 3-year one for this very first vaccine as it won't matter if they have to get the next one in a year regardless. Thank you!