Question about rabies shot

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 9 year old inside cat, King, just came up to me with a dried bloody ear. I’ve attached a photo, and I’ve already cleaned it up. Does this look like it could be a mouse bite? The reason I ask is about 5 days ago he killed a mouse, and there may be more if there was one. When I left the house his ear was fine, and when I came back an hour later, his ear was hurt.

King was just vaccinated for rabies in September. If this does happen to be another animal bite, does he need to go back to the vet anyways for another shot? I’ve looked it up, and all I can find is that an animal will need a booster if it’s been over a year to 3 years.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how a mouse would get to his ear, and it doesn't really look like a bite. It looks like he scraped it on something. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it heals well, it should be fine.

Small rodents rarely get rabies, because generally any bite deep enough to transmit rabies will kill them. So you shouldn't have to worry about that and I don't think most vets consider mousing to be wild animal rabies exposure. But to the general question, yes, if he's bitten by a wild animal the protocol is to give a booster rabies shot, no matter how long ago he was vaccinated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, and having raised both Fancy rats and mice, a bite from one of them in an area like that would almost certainly involve tearing. This looks more like he caught on something, or scratched a flea bite or something too vigorously. However, as with anything questionable, it won't hurt to have your vet take a look and make the decision.