Question about Pet Insurance

*alleycat*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my furbabies, Lucky, has had urinary crystals and has to eat special food.  That is listed as a pre-existing condition on what seems to be all pet insurance exclusions.  My question is does that mean my baby Lucky cannot get insurance at all or just that it will not cover anything associated with that condition?

Thank you!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never used pet insurance so don't know the answer to your question. Have you looked on the insurance website to see if they talk about it?

There are folks here that have pet insurance and perhaps they will see this thread and respond.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my furbabies, Lucky, has had urinary crystals and has to eat special food.  That is listed as a pre-existing condition on what seems to be all pet insurance exclusions.  My question is does that mean my baby Lucky cannot get insurance at all or just that it will not cover anything associated with that condition?

Thank you!
I have pets Best - they are AMAZING..... With them, once that is deemed cured, is no longer a preexisting condition.
I have never had problems with them, they pay like clock work every time, never had anything questioned, excluded, delayed..... And I have used them a lot - for all my babies.... In office visits, e-vets, prescriptions, tests, etc.

I have only wonderful things to say about them..... They have a wonderful customer support team - you can just give them a call, and they will answer all your questions :nod:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Petplan insurance.  I looked at a lot of other insurance plans before deciding on Petplan, mainly because of okay customer reviews.  (I am suspicious of too-glowing and too-negative reviews.  Some reviews are "plants".)  I have been very pleased with Petplan.  Ritz has stress-induced UTIs, which first occurred about nine months after I first enrolled.  Amount of reimbursement paid for the yearly premium. Petplan for services I didn't expect it to pay, like expressing anal glands, clipping nails and Pill Pockets.  I will renew in May and am thinking about upgrading my coverage to including boarding fees.

When I was doing my research, I found what you, Alley Cat, found:  if the condition is 'pre-existing', then coverage is excluded; and like Carolina also stated, once deemed "cured"--sometimes for a stated period of time, usually 6 months to one year--the condition is no longer a preexisting illness.  BUT READ FINE PRINT:  In Petplan's fine print, a preexisting illness is a "condition which first occurred or showed clinical signs before the effective date of this policy or which occurred during the policy waiting period." 

I also found that you can get several 'levels' of coverage within one plan.  Levels vary from company to company.  You might search for companies that cover pre-existing conditions; you'll pay a higher premium, of course, but may be worth it in the end.