Question about our male cat

kazhang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 2 cats, a male and a female. The female is currently pregnant

Well yesterday we picked up a homeless kitten that someone dumped behind my girlfriends parents house (in the library parking lot, they dumped a whole litter) well the kitten would not of lived through last night, so we ended up picking it up around 2pm and brought it home. Our male cat used to hiss at it, but now he licks him a lot, bites his neck and today was dragging the kitten around.

The other kitten we just picked up is male.

Also, the female hasn't stopped hissing at it yet, is this because she is pregnant? She's slowly getting closer to him and sniffing him, but then hisses and runs away. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the male neutered? Many toms will kill kittens, especially those not his own (but sometimes his own, too!). I wouldn't let him near the kitten (or the new kittens) if he's not neutered. If he is neutered (and has been for a while), I would still watch him to make sure he doesn't get too rough, but many neutered males like to play mamacat to kittens. But not all, so supervise! And separate them when you can't watch until you know he won't hurt the baby. Small kittens do look a lot like mice. . .

As for the female, it's natural for her to try to reserve resources for her own babies, and try to chase off other kittens. I hope you'll have her spayed after the babies are weaned. . .goodness knows cat overpopulation is bad enough. And cat hormones complicate everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazhang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the male neutered? Many toms will kill kittens, especially those not his own (but sometimes his own, too!). I wouldn't let him near the kitten (or the new kittens) if he's not neutered. If he is neutered (and has been for a while), I would still watch him to make sure he doesn't get too rough, but many neutered males like to play mamacat to kittens. But not all, so supervise! And separate them when you can't watch until you know he won't hurt the baby. Small kittens do look a lot like mice. . .
As for the female, it's natural for her to try to reserve resources for her own babies, and try to chase off other kittens. I hope you'll have her spayed after the babies are weaned. . .goodness knows cat overpopulation is bad enough. And cat hormones complicate everything.
Oh of course. No he's not fixed, we plan to do so soon, and getting the female spayed as well. Thank you.