Question about new cat segregation

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I keep our new kittens segregated in our master bathroom (large bathroom with a large walk in closet) and I have the litter box in our whirlpool tub...will it create a problem when I integrate them and move the litter box to the laundry room? Will I have to leave the litter box in the tub? If I move it will they pee/poop in the tub? Our bathroom is really the only place that we can segregate them but I would prefer not to have to keep the box in our tub permanently.

The only other option would be to put them in our spare bedroom on the second floor, but I have arthritis so it is hard for me to walk up and down the stairs all the time...plus then I'd have to move the litter box in the end anyway.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have to move the litter bit by bit over time, but for now you can keep the litter in there no problem. Heck, my kitten didn't even need the inch by inch moving, he adjusted to me moving his litter from my bedroom into the cat room, 15 feet away, no problem.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had no problems with moving original litter boxes from second floor isolation room to basement where other cats' regular boxes are. I've always kept the new comer's box in the original location for awhile after they leave the iso while I introduce them to the real kitty toilets. Everybody has always been very eager to leave iso, and very much interested in going into the big boy toilets (more to sniff?). Thus, there never was any accidents or 'lost' feelings and after having the extra box upstairs for a little extra time, I just removed it, then after little while usually also shut the iso room when that safe haven was not needed any more. I always felt the other cats were more interested in going to the new comer's toilet anyway... I would make sure though that I see new kids going to the regular toilets before snatching the potty. They need to know where the right place is, so no problem behaviours get started. If I had a very timid toilet goer I would use the inching method. We've just been lucky that everyone likes the peace in the basement.

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like the other posters, my cats don't seem to care where the box is as long as its easily accessible. I just pick it up, move it, and place them in it to show them where it is. Good luck with your integration!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
When I move the litter pan - my cats will find it without any other effort on my part.

But, you are talking about kittens, I think, so they might need a little more encouragement.

I'd move the box where you need it to be, then take the kittens and put them inside the box so they will know where it is.

Moving it around shouldn't be an issue as long as it's accessible.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now the two kittens - Mr. Poe and Domino - are isolated in the guestroom & bathroom with their own litter box.

Mist, 14 1/2 year old cat has her litter box in basement.

In a couple of days when I turn the kittens loose I'm planning on leaving the kittens litter box in the guest bathroom. I'll add another litter pan in the bathroom on the main floor. And I'm planning on moving the basement litter box to the space at the foot of the stairs. That's because I'm going to close the basement door once the kittens are loose. Too many places for them to get into.

That gives the kittens a litter box on each level of the house. Eventually all litter pans will be in basement.

And why, BTW, are litter boxes so UGLY! Purple, for goodness sake. I bought a metal cake pan for the new litter box. Have been looking for a plastic storage box but haven't found on that seems to have suitable dimensions.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe the cost of litter pans.

I've found other containers that work just as well. The only problem with them is that the bottoms have ridges and sometimes scooping could be a tad more difficult.

I can't remember if I have the 5 gal, or 10 gal tote.
I originally bought them for outside shelter for the outside cats (now they're inside only).

I cut a hole in the end (could be on the side, or even more than one side to fit your needs
) making the bottom edge high enough to keep the litter inside the tote. I do not use the cover - keeps the cats from breathing any dust particles omitted by the litter, and, it's easier to keep cleaned out. The colored containers are easier to cut with a utility knife.

Here's the LitterTote:

here's the link so you can see the examples:
http://www.sterilite.com/ProductCate...y=18&section=1

I bought the totes from Walmart for under $5.00, right now they have them in Christmas colors.

Also, before that - I've purchased the Rubbermaid Roughneck storage containers - don't have to cut anything. I think this is the container size that I have:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3904&catid=770

The great part about the Sterilite tote is that it has high sides, and this really helps containing any overspray, and helps direct the cat to one spot to shed any extra litter on their paws.

For any cat that is unable to climb into a high walled container, I use the Rubbermaid container - it's clear plastic, don't have a pic, but you've probably seen them. I've had some injured cats, or cats out of surgery, that were unable to climb over the walls, so brought in this container for them to use while they're healing.

Just because something is labeled a "litter pan", doesn't mean we have to conform.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use clear totes from Walmart, they run about $5 each, and they have flat bottoms except for a very slight 1" wide ridge along the edge. I don't bother cutting a whole in the side b/c the cats can jump in and out of them just fine...plus Nora is a digger and scatters litter everywhere when she does. The higher the sides, the better. I bought the same kind for the boys and they use it fine without a problem.