Question about my ten year old boy...

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hobbs is ten. He has always been a long skinny guy. In the past 2 years my house went from 2 cats, to 4 and now 7! (Don't ask, I'm not even sure how it happened). Now Hobbs is losing muscle/fat around his spine. He gets a can of Fancy Feast in the morning, eats his fill, and walks away. If he goes back after a few minutes (which was always his habit) the food is usually gone because my other bigger eaters make the food bowl rounds. I keep IAM's hard food out all day, and Hobbs will eat whenever he is hungry. However, he seems to be getting skinnier and skinnier. He is otherwise a healthy boy (full good check up at the vet 6 months ago), playful and affectionate as always.

Should I try to give him some extra high calorie liquids with a syringe? Is it ok to give him human food such as bacon, cheese or other high fat/calorie foods, to fatten him up? Or is this the normal aging process?

Any help is appreciated.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he was at the vet six months ago, did they do any blood work? Regardless, it is time for him to get back to the vet and have some done, as he is showing signs of a medical condition now. Renal (kidney) failure, hyperthyroidism, and diabetes can all cause weight loss. It is important to rule out the presence of medical conditions before assuming that the weight loss is due to insufficient food intake. All three of those conditions can potentially be treated, even if they can't be cured.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, if he hasn't had a full senior blood panel done, I'd do that. Eventho it's just been 6 mos, kitties can change quickly. You'll want to rule out diabetes, kidney issues, and thyroid issues. If he's having some mobility issues, it could be arthritis that makes him uncomfortable to eat more because it starts to hurt him to either stand, sit, or crouch to eat. Then talk to your vet about your concerns and ask him what he would recommend.

Some of it could just be general aging, too. I have a 13 yo girl and she's thinned some, too, just because of age. She's by no means a skinny-minnie, but the vet told me that some of what I've observed with her is a normal body change. She's at a very healthy weight for her and even with her kidney problems, she's maintaining her weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses! He did have blood work and everything was OK. But I think y'all are right, that it's time for another visit to the doctor.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbw999

Thanks for the responses! He did have blood work and everything was OK. But I think y'all are right, that it's time for another visit to the doctor.
Yes, he definitely needs blood work, a superchem, checking thyroid also.

I was in the habit of getting Ootay (rb 5/09) blood work every six months after she turned 13 (annually before that). One June she had perfect blood work. 2 months later I brought her in for a UTI and vet wanted to do blood work again. I trust my vet, so even though it had only been two months I said okay.

Blood work showed early stage kidney failure. Because we caught it early her CRF was manageable for over 3 years. And she continued to have blood work fairly frequently.

Please let us know how Hobbs makes out.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS When he walks away from his food, pick it up and bring it to where ever he moves himself to, and offer it to him again, to finish. Don't let the other cats eat it. He needs the canned food.

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree - sounds like he needs a senior panel done...my first thought was thyroid, which is not usually checked with a standard blood test but would explain the weight loss.

Don't offer him fatty human foods like bacon - those are not healthy for cats - can cause pancreatitis among other things. If anything, maybe look for a new flavor/brand of canned food that he'll eat more of? But, first, have his blood checked.

Hoping all is well! Keep us posted.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As many have noted a senior panel is a great idea ... make sure to also get thyroid checked as many senior panels do not include it ..

Six months IS the standard for NO longer valid and needs to be redone in a cat over 7( some vets will say 3 months)

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I will be taking him to the vet for a senior panel (already have my appointment). I have also now just started feeding him in the BR in the AM by himself, and giving him a second can of food at night away from the other cats. He finished the can last night in 5 minutes, without looking up! Something isn't right, and Ill find out what it is. I will definitely let everyone know the outcome!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hobbs is a beautiful boy.
Don't forgot to mention that the vet test for thyroid.

Let us know what happens!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS I always find it helpful to make a list of my questions before going to the vet so I don't forget anything. It's difficult to concentrate when you are worried about your kitty.

And..I write down the answers too, so I have a reference for later!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

PS I always find it helpful to make a list of my questions before going to the vet so I don't forget anything. It's difficult to concentrate when you are worried about your kitty.

And..I write down the answers too, so I have a reference for later!
Thanks Otto. I asked the vet's assistant this question, and she said that the panel will include a thyroid test. Ill let you know what happens.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

Are there any updates on this cat.
Nothing yet. Hobbs is due in the vet's office Tuesday at 9:30AM. Since my last post, Hobbs seems overly hungry. He ate 2 cans of food in a row 2 nights ago; cleaned the plate. Yet he didnt eat his IAM's, which is out all the time, which he usually likes and is always fresh. Thus his eating habits are way off from what they used to be. Im not sure what is going on, but I hope Tuesday's vet visits yield's some answers.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I look forward to seeing your post on Tuesday then about Hobbs. I hope all will be okay. Prayers going out to you sweet kitty..

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I got a call this morning from the vet. Hobbs' panel including liver, kidney and thyroid was 100% clear. Which was great news. The vet showed me that one of his back teeth had some inflammation, that possibly could be keeping him from eating as much as he usually does. He has gone from 8.8 pounds to 8.25 pounds in a year. He had teeth cleaned a year ago; I guess he will be in for another. I just hate putting my cat under anesthesia, for fear that he wont come out. But again, great news that he is healthy. Thank you everybody for your helpful comments and good vibes. Y'all are great!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for updating us on Hobbs! Great news about the blood work, he should do fine under anesthesia. Bad teeth can cause a ton of other problems from kidney disease to heart disease, so it's best to get it done right away.

Talk to your vet about what anesthesia will be used, insist on NO ketamine. Gas anesthesia is best, my vet uses Sevoflourane, though I know many use isoflourane, which is a deeper anesthesia.

Ask in advance about antibiotics and pain medications. Buprenex is a safe, commonly used pain med for post dental surgery in cats. Do not accept metacam.

Let us know when the procedure is scheduled for, so we can be thinking of you and Hobbs and wishing him well.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Thanks for updating us on Hobbs! Great news about the blood work, he should do fine under anesthesia. Bad teeth can cause a ton of other problems from kidney disease to heart disease, so it's best to get it done right away.

Talk to your vet about what anesthesia will be used, insist on NO ketamine. Gas anesthesia is best, my vet uses Sevoflourane, though I know many use isoflourane, which is a deeper anesthesia.

Ask in advance about antibiotics and pain medications. Buprenex is a safe, commonly used pain med for post dental surgery in cats. Do not accept metacam.

Let us know when the procedure is scheduled for, so we can be thinking of you and Hobbs and wishing him well.
Got it. Some great advice! Thank you.