Question about my 11 month old's litter habits?

phantombabe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted her from the city's shelter about four days ago, and I'm so in love with her. I showed her the litter box, and the next morning I was very happy to find that she had used it. We have two other cats, but they're usually outside and they don't use the box. Before my kitten came home, I didn't even have a litter box.
She's 11 months old, and she's adjusted very well. She was at the vet's yesterday for her rabies shot, and the vet said she's in great health.
I'm 19, and she's actually the first cat that is really mine. I'm a little paranoid, I guess. Her bed is on my bed, and her litter box is about five feet from her bed. She gets lots of exercise and play time, and she eats and drinks water...
So everything is going well, except last night she pooped at the end of my bed, right next to her bed. I showed her the litter box and when I woke up she was using it. She was digging the dirt out of my mom's plants, so I moved her to the litter box and she pooped. A few hours later, after I came back from the store, I took her to the litter box again and she pooped again. It's brown/orange and creamy (and very smelly). Is that normal? is it okay to be taking her there? Why isn't she going on her own, or does she just not have to go that bad? Please help!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a cat's diet changes, their digestive system often requires time to adjust to a new food. Unless you are feeding her exactly what she ate at the shelter, chances are that her poop will be different for a while.

Even if you are feeding her the same food, her life is quite different than what it was a few days ago. She may be a little stressed while she is adjusting to living with you, and habits such as litter box use need to readjust.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing by placing her in her litter box as a reminder that it is the right place to go. I'd give her more time to get used to her new home.