Question about mum cat - skinny and meowing.

nicochick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Pixie's kits will be 6 weeks old on Monday and are doing great. However Pixie (mum cat) is driving me mad! She is meowing all the time, sometimes it's when they are playing and she's watching them and she gives a real whiny groany meow and other times they may be asleep or when she's restless - which is quite a lot! She isn't sleeping much and is very hungry. We are feeding her lots as she's a very small cat anyway and the kits are still nursing from her at times, but this last week her appetite is bigger than ever, when I thought it should be subsiding a bit now they're not nursing off her so much.

Also she is looking thin. Do you think it could be worms? I think I will treat her and the kits anyway just in case. She has always been small and thin, but looks thinner than ever. It may be just feeding the kits all these weeks taking it's toll. Also do you think the meawing is because the kits are becoming more independent now and it's strange for her?

Thanks for your help - will post some more pics next week!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the meowing could be to do with the fact shes comming back into heat so make sure she can not get outside before she is spayed. another reason could be for the fact the kittens are getting about more and not taking any notice of her , annes the same.
the kittens and mum should be taken to the vet now to be wormed anyway , so you might be right about the worms. when was the last time she was wormed?
also while your there maybe talk to them about when to spay her? if you need a low cost spay clinic let me know roughly where in the uk and i might know of some places.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

the meowing could be to do with the fact shes comming back into heat so make sure she can not get outside before she is spayed. another reason could be for the fact the kittens are getting about more and not taking any notice of her , annes the same.
the kittens and mum should be taken to the vet now to be wormed anyway , so you might be right about the worms. when was the last time she was wormed?
also while your there maybe talk to them about when to spay her? if you need a low cost spay clinic let me know roughly where in the uk and i might know of some places.
It is very very possible that she's coming into heat. I suggest you take the whole lot of them for vaccinations, deworming and to make a spay appt.

The looking thin aspect is quite quite normal. Most entire queens are not "fat" anyway and I call it being "hormonal"
Both my queens look (at least to me) underweight and I am always harassing my vet for help in helping them gain weight but he says they are fine and healthy.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

It is very very possible that she's coming into heat. I suggest you take the whole lot of them for vaccinations, deworming and to make a spay appt.

The looking thin aspect is quite quite normal. Most entire queens are not "fat" anyway and I call it being "hormonal"
Both my queens look (at least to me) underweight and I am always harassing my vet for help in helping them gain weight but he says they are fine and healthy.
i must admit when ever iv had a female spayed they do start to fill out a lot more, and actually get some weight behind them lilly always looked skin and bones but once she was spayed she has started to fill out nicely.

ringclan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this doesn't really answer your questions but my cat has always been skinny and she is a small cat also. now that she has had her babies she looks very under weight. I'm pretty sure with mine it's due to feeding her babies and that once she has more time for herself she will start to look healthier.