Question about Metacam and other painkillers

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie didn't sleep like she usually does when she first came home, but again that could have been because of the discomfort?.

Im going up to sit with her soon because that seems to relax her more, so it sounds like that's what your little boy needs.

Just keep talking to him and give him scritches so he's relaxed

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw my vet yesterday and showed him some of the comments about Metacam, and this was his take on it

He was aware of it, but said it's been cleared as safe to use in the UK, and in all his years as a vet he's never had one cat with renal problems with it.

He did go on to say that the UK won't use some of the drugs the US use, but that's also vice versa

He said all medications come with side effects, and he's yet to find one that doesn't come with any, and if we look at the side effects a simple paracetamol causes we wouldn't take it again.

However!........Long term use of any medication, including painkillers he would always do regular 3 monthly blood checkups to make sure the kidneys weren't being affected, more so in older cats.

He said Rosie's was obviously short term use so she wouldn't be affected.

I trust my vet,  and what he said made sense when l thought about it, so l hope what he's said helps. But as he said, lf it's long term use on any medication ask about regular blood checks for his kidneys 

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's really no good reason to give metacam given there's a much safer alternative in buprenorphine.   Why take risk you don't have to?    

Mayadot, what's done is done and your kitty will probably be okay.   Just remember to watch the four basics - eating, drinking, pooing and peeing.   As long as those four functions are happening more or less normally your kitty is not in crisis.   If a crisis is happening it will be very clear by watching the four functions.    This is an evaluation system I made up so I wouldn't drive myself insane after taking care of four cats with chronic health conditions.    For long term arthritis pain Cosequin is the bomb....no need for anything else for a long time until the arthritis becomes severe.    One of my cats had to have four extractions in one dental and within four days he no longer needed pain meds.   I'm surprised your vet is suggesting pain meds for a month, extra cautious?   After two weeks you can look in their mouths and see the gums are healed up.   You can feed only canned food for a while too to make it easier on the gums.

Rosie, I hope your kitty is doing great too!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's really no good reason to give metacam given there's a much safer alternative in buprenorphine.   Why take risk you don't have to?    

Rosie, I hope your kitty is doing great too!
I don't know if that drug is used here?. l never take risks where my cats health is concerned either. My cats health and welfare is priority.

As l say,  l really trust my vet unlike the other vet practices we've been registered with in the past,  because he's honest, straight to the point, and doesn't overcharge because he has no massive overheads like a lot of surgeries.

As for Rosie, her vet rang me this morning to say her lump was clear and it was a tissue reaction with her microchip

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad the metacam was ok for your cat. Some cats are fine. A friend of mine almost lost her cat to it and indeed some cats have a very bad reaction. Her kitty who is actually just 6 yrs old, went into kidney failure and he is ok now, but he almost died. 

It is not the sign of a "bad" vet to use meds that are not approved for cats, there are many caring and experienced vets who do this. It is just that every pet mom or dad needs to be aware that this happens and be vigilant and always ask questions and express your love for your pet and your concerns so they know what kind of pet parent you are, also so you are informed and you can make an informed decision.

Many experienced vets use metacam, clomicalm, convenia (these are meds for all different conditions) that are either not approved for cats or are controversial. Vets also use adjuvanted vaccines for cats (they should be using only merial purevax) and they talk people into doing 3 year vaccines which are all adjuvanted. Adjuvants are designed to trigger an immune response in order to make the vaccine kick in, but in cats this can have an idiocyncratic response. Every vet knows what VAS stands for - vaccine associated sarcoma. But they still do yearly vaccines, knowing they are not necessary. 

None of the above things are necessarily horrible wrong things, but vigilant pet parents need to know. I have learned from bad outcomes that I need to be proactive not allow any controversial meds be given to elderly or very young or immune depressed cats. Older cats kept indoors do not need vaccines. At my vet, unless I tell the vet and the office staff NOT to vaccinate (and I say because kitty isn't feeling well right now) they will do it automatically if my cat is due for a shot.

If you have a kitty who you love like a child, ask a lot of questions, don't let your cat get multiple vaccinations, ask about any meds being given, are they approved for cats. And even if you have a cat who hates to see the vet and struggles like crazy, do not let them take the kitty in back for the struggle to occur there. Instead ask about mild sedation, or if there are other ways to examine the cat without the thrashing which could injure your cat. My 12 yr old fat cat got a tear in her lymphatic tissue that way, which drained into her lungs, it did not heal and we had to have her euthanized.

These are just some things to be aware of, so you can find good middle ground between blind obedience to the vet and making sure you ask lots of questions and participate in all decisions, so you are not kicking yourself later on as I did. People reading this may be shaking their heads and saying of course of course, and already know all this. I am just saying it because I did not and am hoping maybe my experiences (including my cat with VAS) may help another pet mom or dad.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Terrific post Barb. Well said.