Question about low phosphorus cat food for CKD

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wrote to Sheba about the phosphorus content in their wet cat foods. Here's what they sent me:
⦁ Savory Chicken Entree: Contains 0.3% "As Is" Basis or 2.58g per 1000 kcal.
⦁ Roasted Chicken Entree: Contains 0.33% "As Is" Basis or 3.6g per 1000 kcal.
⦁ Tender Turkey Entree: Contains 0.31% "As Is" Basis or 3.46g per 1000 kcal.
⦁ Delicate Salmon Entree: Contains 0.42% "As Is" Basis or 3.7g per 1000 kcal.
What does "As is" basis mean? I read that phosphorus should be below 1.0% "dry matter". Is that the same as :As it"??

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
“As is” is with moisture included. DMB would be significantly higher. Specific % would depend on the moisture level of the food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Do you have a cat with kidney issues? Has your vet run blood tests regarding that?

There are a couple of prescription food manufacturers but at least one of them has been having a lot of trouble keeping up with demand. You may want to look at non prescription Weruva .com, they provide in-depth nutritional information in both As Fed/As Is and in Dry Matter analysis. Felinecrf. .org which is quite a useful website for info about feline kidney disease, might not be current regarding food but Evengers and Dave's are a couple other brands that now offer a low phos variety.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only way I have found to obtain the actual dry matter basis for phosphorus is to 'flat out' ask for it in that context - 'dry matter basis'. 'As is' is what was mentioned above.

You can try seeing if any of the foods you are interested in are included in this listing on Tanya's web site - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org). Otherwise, send your requests to the applicable companies and ask specifically for the dry matter basis numbers.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kidney kitty died last year. I didn't change her food at all. She was on a grain-free wet and dry food for most of her life. I did add a daily dose of potassium gluconate and a renal supplement and this helped her tremendously.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on where your cat's phosphorus level is (part of standard blood work - Chemistry Panel), you can also consider a product like Phos-Bind to help remove some of the phosphorus from her food. It does sometimes cause constipation, so Miralax is a good remedy should that happen. I only give Feeby a dose (1/8 tsp) of Phos-Bind every 2-3 days, mixed directly with her food, and so far have not had an issue with constipation. I decided to go this route because she is very picky about what she will eat, so I can't be too 'choosy' on what foods to feed her.

If you were to give your cat Phos-Bind every day, it would be a good idea to have blood work done after 30 days just to see how it is working to reduce her phosphorus level.

Last edited:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depending on where your cat's phosphorus level is (part of standard blood work - Chemistry Panel), you can also consider a product like Phos-Bind to help remove some of the phosphorus from her food. It does sometimes cause constipation, so Miralax is a good remedy should that happen. I only give Feeby a dose (1/8 tsp) of Phos-Bind every 2-3 days, mixed directly with her food, and so far have not had an issue with constipation. I decided to go this route because she is very picky about what she will eat, so I can't be too 'choosy' on what foods to feed her.

If you were to give your cat Phos-Bind every day, it would be a good idea to have blood work done after 30 days just to see how it is working to reduce her phosphorus level.
I also opted for this method. I honestly got tired of buying cat food that she would not eat.
StackPath
I used Epakaitin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses. My 16 yr old is in stage 3 now according to blood tests. He will not eat prescription diets... none of the brands... so I'm trying to get him on the lower phosphorus wet foods. I did buy Weruva and he liked it for about a week. I'll try Dave's and Evenger next. I did find that some of the lists online are outdated or just don't list foods that easily purchased. Even Chewy doesn't have some of them. Going to try a phosphate binder next. Thanks again.