Question about Ghosts neck scabs

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long story short Ghost is almost done with his prednisone and is on a limited ingredient diet and his neck/face scabs are back like before. I was wondering if there is anything natural worth trying while we wait to see if he is or isn't allergic to something in his food?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When you say they are "back like before", does that mean they actually went away for a short time?  If so, what was going on when they went away? 

I don't know of anything natural to try while you are in the midst of food trials.  Plus,if you throw anything else in the mix, you won't know what the problem is or isn't, I'm thinking.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at your other thread and in that you and the dogs have problems too, I wonder if there's something in the house that's bothering all of you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

When you say they are "back like before", does that mean they actually went away for a short time?  If so, what was going on when they went away? 

I don't know of anything natural to try while you are in the midst of food trials.  Plus,if you throw anything else in the mix, you won't know what the problem is or isn't, I'm thinking.
We had him do a round of prednisone and the scabs went away until we started tapering his dose, now they are back like before he started the med.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked at your other thread and in that you and the dogs have problems too, I wonder if there's something in the house that's bothering all of you?
I have an immune system issue with chronic hives and our dogs are pugs and tend to get seasonal allergies and are prone to yeast infections so keeping their ears and wrinkles cleaned is a daily thing. The dogs had issues even when we lived in KS, we've moved to a new state so I don't think it's the same issue as the dogs.

Ghost had the scabs before we brought him in so it's not something in the house. Thankfully the scabs don't seem to bother Ghost to much, he probably itches as much as I do and hasn't caused any more damage by scratching. Hopefully something will shift for the better, if not it's back to the vet for another round of questions and tests.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

We had him do a round of prednisone and the scabs went away until we started tapering his dose, now they are back like before he started the med.
Ok, so have you called the Vet and mentioned this to him?  First off, I would start there.  That should be a big clue to them. 

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm taking the female stray we took in to our vet tomorrow along with my parents cat who all the sudden has a swollen eye lid and is sneezing. We just can't catch a break around here lol. I think we've spent a thousand dollars this year for animal problems. I'm going to ask her tomorrow what we should try if anything at this time for Ghost.

I had a rabbit that was beaten up and all scabbed (fight with another rabbit and my dad's stupidity) over before we could trap it and get it to the vet. I was told to pat down the scabs with mineral oil and it was amazing how well it worked. I would never attempt to use it on Ghost without asking first besides I think it might cause runny stool if he licks it off to much. We'll see tomorrow.