Question about Gabapentin for vet visit.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet has recommended that I give Gabapentin tonight before my 10 am vet visit tomorrow.

Does anyone know WHEN tonight? I mean I was thinking it would last 8 hours.

Does it matter?

I had planned on giving my cat his - visit dose -- at round 7 AM.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I gave my cat liquid gabapentin last week for her visit and I was instructed to give it 2-3 hours before the visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The last time I gave him gabapentin two hours before the vet visit, it didn't really work. So my vet has asked that I give it to him "the night before" but she didn't specify a time. I am wondering what we are trying to achive. That he will still be out of it when he gets his second dose?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie's cardiologist says to give him one capsule one hour before his visit. My GSD is on permanent gabapentin and takes it twice a day at 12 hour intervals.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I gave him 100 mg at 6:50 PM ... I plan on giving him his pre appointment dose 200 mg tomorrow at 7 AM. I am hoping he will just sleep soundly tonight. I gave him 140 mg on Friday and he just mostly slept.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can give the night before and the morning of. It takes about 2 hours to work. The effects can last 24 hours.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok well guess my answer is that it doesn't matter as the effects will last about 24 hours. So 200 mg is away. I was surprised he ate it all up. The 100 mg didn't seem to do a lot - he woke up as usual at 4 AM and was crying for me to come downstairs. He was hungry as I gave him no food (in case we need to do sedation). He was walking and standing fine. He used his litter box fine. He was a little slow but walking around.

I held out until 6:50 and gave him 200 mg. I hope I didn't ruin it but I gave him just a tiny tiny bit more just in case. I would say 210 mg. Just in case some was lost due to food. He has now gone to bed and I am hopeful he will be seriously out cold and I can just put him in the carrier.

Wish me luck folks.