question about FVRCP need

carebear13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, we're going to be boarding our cats with someone who has a total of about 25 cats in her home.  All of our cats had the FVRCP vaccination series (3 shots) but never got their annual booster.

If her cats are all up-to-date on these shots, but mine aren't, can my cats contract any of these diseases?  Would it still be advisable to have them vaccinated?  They will not be going outdoors, and never have, so I'm just concerned with the other cats in the household.

Thanks,

Shannon

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Are your cats going to be kept separate from her cats? What will the boarding setup be like?

To answer your question, yes, Calicivirus (the "C" part) and Feline Herpes virus (the "R" part) are both contagious viruses.

Herpes is like a kitty cold with congestion and oftentimes runny/watery eyes and sometimes colored eye/nasal discharge.

Calicivirus is deemed the cat flu. It can cause mouth ulcers, fever, decreased appetite and body aches.

Cats that are immune compromised or those under stressful situations are more likely to catch one of these viruses.

The vaccines don't work 100% of the time, but can lessen the severity of the illness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carebear13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is in a 3-bedroom house and from what I understand all cats have free reign of her home, as well as an enclosed outdoor space.  This is why I ask because that's a lot of cat-cat contact :)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have a feeling this setup is not going to fair well for litter box training your cats...

Last edited:

carebear13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really have absolutely no idea since I don't know why they don't like to use it.  But I agree, it's another move, more stress...

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I think, regardless of whether you choose to booster vaccinate or not, I'd have them all vet checked before you board them.

If you do vaccinate, they need to be vaccinated 2 weeks prior to boarding as this is how long it takes their body to build immunity.

carebear13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.  I didn't know about the 2 week time period, but I read that also.