Question about Fold (the breed)

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Admittedly, I posted this in behavior, but it was suggested that I post this in breeders corner as it is more likely that someone here truly would have a clue and be quicker to share...... (I apologize to the moderators for this)

I recently got a Fold out of an animal shelter. I've never had one before and believe that it is a triple fold, though it might be a technicality of a double. (no papers and fixed). Because of this, other than his coloring is what I would call Tuxedo, I can't tell what kind of Fold he is... so I'm going with moggie.

I have had many cats through my life and feel that I'm fairly good at reading a cats ears. But this one has me stumped.

His ears are always forward (duh) and dont seem to flatten anymore or perk up. I would have expected at least more flattening when scared or upset. I also haven't seen them swivel like I'm use to with other cats in various directions. He doesn't seem deaf, as he will move his head towards sounds. and he will look directly at my face when he hears my voice.

I've had him for about a week and during that time he has been in a cage with another cat while they get use to the new smells, sounds and overall surroundings. He will often hiss at the other cat when she is "getting in his space" and will rarely allow her in the cubby hole that he has chose as his. (no problem, I gave her a box to curl up in but I have seen her go in to his area against rain etc). I can, however, reach my hand in and pet him - he doesn't hiss, and as I've said his ears don't move. Strangely, even when he is hissing at her, he won't turn to hiss at me, if I move to break them up.

It might be that when he is hissing at her that his ears go down a bit and I'm missing it... but not sure... as his ears are black and that part of his head is black.

am I being too critical of what I'm think I'm seeing and there really are clues there? or for the fold do I need to look at other things?

He allows me to pet him, but doesn't allow me to pick him up -- freaks out and wants back in the cage immediately, the other cat will be freaked out for a few minutes, then she will allow me to pick her up again. When I move to grab him by the scruff he accepts that... but actually holding is another story entirely. Because he's a shelter cat, I have no idea if some of this is due to "breeding" or his life than caused him to be in the shelter in the first place. He doesn't flinch or anything when I reach towards him. He is inquisitive and looks around, smelling the air, looking around the plastic and into the dining room (he's actually outside, but there is a window at that level) but when he's been out sniffing the air and being inquisitive he will move to the back of the cage when he sees me walk out.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would need to see a very clear picture of his head from the front and possibly side too to guess whether he has double or triple folded ears. Him being a longhair will make it even harder to see the ears. Obviously it is quite likely that he's at least a fold mix if not purebred, but without papers I wouldn't call him a Scottish Fold. Stupid question but has he been checked for a microchip? He's not a tuxedo, there is no such color or pattern recognized in cats. He's black bicolor.

His ears should be moving just like a cats' with straight ears, except that they are folded. They are just as easy to read than normal cats' ears, but definitely the color and coat length will make it a bit harder for you to see them. He might even 'lift' them a bit from the roots if he hears something very interesting or odd.

Cats with folded ears aren't deaf nor do they have any other ear issues when compared to a cat with straight ears.

I have a bit older video clip of my Scottish Fold (double folded ears) boy called Tomu chirping to birds, you can see his ear perked up when he listens carefully what is going on outside, and they move side ways too. Let's see if I know how to add the video here:

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/...nthea_Tomu_/?action=view&current=MOV02734.mp4

Lol, apparently I can't but here's the link to the video on photobucket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you're right. I definitely see the ear movement on your cat.

I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow during the day.

I didn't ask about microchiping, but I definitely will.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think the shelter would have scanned him for a chip (at least they do here).

Just going by the Foldies I've seen at shows, they do have some ear movement. Just going on that one photo I'd say he's a mix, the face shape doesn't look like a purebred Fold to me.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
The shelter that I used to volunteer at has this kitty (Still there, extremely sweet).. She has damaged ears from ear infections. At first I thought she might've been a fold, but her ears didn't fold evenly like one should. I decided to post this pic for comparison for you.. certain ear infections do cause ears to fold over

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And these are double folded (triple fold is the desired trait) ears of a Foldie:

From the side:

From the top (though a bit lifted in the pic as he's listening to something going on) :

And one more for a comparison (double folded)

Last edited:

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully these pics are at least decent enough to get an idea.... again being a black cat, I fear it's more difficult on pics than it would be with another color.

admittedly, I still haven't named him, so the title of the files (though wrong for color) is a way for me to think of him.

so... any ideas?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no expert, by any means, but I would assume those are damaged ears, perhaps from a hematoma or some infection.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, by any means, but I would assume those are damaged ears, perhaps from a hematoma or some infection.

I agree. They do not look like regular folded ears, more like uneven and damaged. If that is the case, it would be plausible that they don't move like they should and he may have hearing issues.

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you both. Its good to know what I'm dealing with.