Question about flea infestations

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Come to think of it, that was before the days of Revolution, Frontline, etc. Doesn't Revolution say it kills fleas before they lay eggs? If that's the case you probably don't have any eggs.

And yes, vacuuming helps.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food grade DE is very much like fine talcum powder. As far as sprinkling it your carpet, you don't even notice it once you sweep it in. I use a broom to push it into the carpet.

One summer we had fleas so bad (in spite of using Frontline/Advantage and sprays), that I couldn't walk across a room without getting about 20 fleas on me. My vet recommended DE and within 2 days of sprinkling it, we didn't have another flea the rest of the year. I've been using it for about 15 years now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya know, there's one thing I don't understand. When I was a kid we had a dog who ran free, in and out, as he pleased, went where he pleased, and honestly, we never treated him for fleas, there was no such thing as prophylaxis, and we never had fleas in the house (my mother was quite the clean freak; I'm sure I would remember if we'd had fleas)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We lived on a farm and we never had fleas in the house either but I put that down to the fact we didn't have any carpeting and the dog was not allowed past the kitchen. He had his bed behind the old wood stove. My little pet lamb also was in a large box behind the wood stove when he was really little too.

jesi79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi new here!
We have a male cat named skunki a black and white and a new kitten,another female black and white named Munchie. We also have a big dummy dog named Dozer. We use Borax 20 mule team for our carpet when we get a flea problem. We sprinkle it on sweep it in with a broom, wait a few hours then vacuum it up. The Borax drys the fleas up and kills the eggs to. Hope this helps.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jesi79

Hi new here!
We have a male cat named skunki a black and white and a new kitten,another female black and white named Munchie. We also have a big dummy dog named Dozer. We use Borax 20 mule team for our carpet when we get a flea problem. We sprinkle it on sweep it in with a broom, wait a few hours then vacuum it up. The Borax drys the fleas up and kills the eggs to. Hope this helps.
I was in a hurry to get something to start helping us with the fea's and we got Borax 20 mule team too. I will order DE also. I don't want to set off the flea bombs unless everything else fails.