Question about finding reputable breeders

Lisa Barnstead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does a reputable breed check for illness in their breeding cats annually?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does a reputable breed check for illness in their breeding cats annually?
Let me take it the other way. Reputable breeders have good contact with a good vet. And so, they see it as completely natural, to contact the vet if they notice any problems they cant manage with home remedies or by their own long experience and good knowledge.
Also, their cats are usually insurated, so there are none overpriced problems.

IF a cat is sick, it gets treated.... The ONLY exception as I know of, is insurance companies arent fond of cesarean if it wasnt on vets advice. So there ARE situations when the owner thinks cesarean is best, but if the vet doesnt agree, the insurance wont cover the surgery...

I dont remember at this moment, how often they do yearly check ups... But for example kittens are always examined before they are send to their new home... Aside of vaccinations and such - so kittens see the vet at least twice.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re/the above, in my experience kittens from reputable breeders (at least here in the UK) come with at least their first vaccinations done and sometimes a short period of insurance cover. For example, a kitten listing on the UK's Governing Council of Cat Fancy might read "Price includes all vaccinations, microchip, pedigree and breed registry certificate, and six weeks' insurance". (Disclaimer: I'm not a breeder but I have got pedigree cats from a reputable breeder in the past).

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good breeders should be taking their cats in to the vet for regular health checks, regardless if they are breeding cats or not. Same as anyone else does with their pets. And as for breeding cats any decent breeder will do necessary heath testing for any disease or condition that is prevalent in the breed; i,e. hip dysplasia, heart problems, hearing tests (white cats only) etc. Personally I wouldn't purchase from any breeder who does not provide this care.