Question About Diagnosis

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As most of you know, my cat Binx passed four weeks ago yesterday. I know this sounds silly, but every vet I took him to, and a couple of days ago a neighbour, were shocked at his passing, saying 'He looked so well!' ALL of them. A friend contacted a Western vet via Facebook who said 'around 20% of cats are misdiagnosed'. He passed so very quickly. and given I have had several blood tests from several vets confirming his very high BUN and Creatine levels, surely he wasn't misdiagnosed was he? I agree he did LOOK very well and remember another poster saying her CKD cat had even caught a rat the week before he passed. I'm grieving as much as anyone here losing my beloved cat and just asking for confirmation, given the many blood tests by the many inept vets here in Thailand.

In the end, he'd been howling in pain due to chronic constipation, for which I took him to relieve at yet another vet who'd ran Aceta aka battery fluid through him for two days but swore it was Lactate, even though I had written proof it was Aceta necessitating a local vet to administer a pill to 'relieve his sore throat' after which he promptly died. Although I must say it was a relief for the both of us, me not having to euthanise and he not suffering any more. Thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
another poster saying her CKD cat had even caught a rat the week before he passed
Hello. I'm so sorry you and your baby had such a rough time. My angel Poppycat was another cat who looked and acted amazing, up to the weekend that he died. He was 17.5, had elevated liver and pancreas numbers, hyperthyroidism and ckd. However, he wasn't thin or scraggly, and jumped to the top of the refrigerator a week prior.

Every cat is different, but one thing most of them have in common is that if at all possible, they will do everything in their power to appear strong and healthy so as to avoid the threat of predation. It is hardwired in their nature.

And, beyond that, some of them are simply wonders 💞

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I completely agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . Please keep in mind that cats are masters at hiding their pain. They instinctively try to act normal not only for us but the same way a cat would act in the wild. When a cat is injured or ill they they become more vulnerable to other animals, therefore, trying to hide their weakness or illness. I'm very sorry for your cat, Binx, passing away. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . Please keep in mind that cats are masters at hiding their pain. They instinctively try to act normal not only for us but the same way a cat would act in the wild. When a cat is injured or ill they they become more vulnerable to other animals, therefore, trying to hide their weakness or illness. I'm very sorry for your cat, Binx, passing away. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs:
Thank you so much for this. I knew deep down he'd probably been suffering CKD for a long time, but even then he'd be anxious to get out into the jungle to hunt. It'd been heartbreaking to think he was misdiagnosed and it was something else that could be treated. He was a Thai Konja, big and muscular. (I now see them on Youtube named Bombay Cats, but India quite close so they could've emigrated. Like many other mammals). Thank you again for putting my mind at ease.