question about delivery

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for keeping a close eye out and assisting with putting the babies to her. Most likely she will voluntarily settle into her new role as mom fairly soon. It takes some first-time moms a day or two sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melismarie77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She gave birth to another kitten a hour ago. The mother cat is sleeping while her first 2 from three days ago nurse. The new kitty is rooting but wont latch on. How long should i wait until I should step in and help?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go ahead and put the new baby to a nipple. Hopefully it will begin nursing right away. Please let us know!

And mystery solved - she did need to birth another kitten! :)

melismarie77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten wont latch on. Its rooting around just wont latch.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you try putting it to a nipple? Put a little honey on a nipple and put the kitten to it again. Let me know.

melismarie77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten latched on for a few min. I am going to keep a eye on them and make sure the newest one is eating. The first 2 have tails this little one is like its mom. No tail :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are keeping an eye on this tiny one.  Do you have a scale that measures in grams or 1/10 of an ounce?  You should weigh the kittens at the same time everyday to make sure they are gaining.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you need to use the honey trick?

If the little one does not stay latched you may need to supplement, so let us know as soon as you notice if there is a problem.

melismarie77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been sitting with them and they all are nursing and squirming around. The newest one nursed for a long time. Its now sleeping while still attached to the nipple. I have a scale and KMR but as of now it seems everyone is doing good. Also mamma and all 3 babies will be fixed when the vet says it is ok and they have forever homes between my daughter and I.

Last edited by a moderator:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So beautiful! 

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but you can give mom a little KMR everyday.  She will enjoy it and the vitamins are good for her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Everyone is grey - "blue".  Is dad too grey?   We are perhaps even russian blues all of us?

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful! So glad to hear they all have homes with you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am glad to hear they are all nursing well. Let us know if anything changes! :)

melismarie77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are doing great. Momma cat is a good mom. This evening she got out the box and ate and drank but about 15 min later she threw up. Its clear as if she drank too much water. Also her stool is still soft. Is this something to be alarmed about?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her stool sounds okay. It should firm up soon. She did eat placentas recently. Her tummy may be a bit unsettled still.

What did she eat and drink?

melismarie77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She ate dry kitten food and drank a lot of water. She also had wet food but didnt eat a lot of it. Shes acting fine but like every new mom... tired. Poor thing looks so skinny now that she lost the belly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just continue to offer her as much to eat and drink as she wants. You can mix a raw beaten egg into her wet food for extra protein. If you can get some kitten formula for her to drink this will provide extra vitamins and minerals.

I hope she feels better soon!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can mix some canned pumpkin, not the pie filling, into her wet food.  That will help with her poop and I hear the cats like it.