Question about D.E. Food Grade?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My three cats are completely nuts from fleas, have been regularly treated all summer, but we still have them in the house, etc.

I ordered D.E. - and it says on the container that it is food grade, which I believe is safer?

The bottle states that you can sprinkle this directly on the pet, rubbing into fur. I have never heard you could do this. Is that safe?

Otherwise, I have never used this stuff, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I sprinkle it all over the carpet and just leave it? For how long? Will it feel gritty under our feet? How long after I sprinkle it before I can vacuum? I'm not a fanatic housekeeper by any means, but I don't know if I can stand leaving stuff all over the carpet for weeks on end.

For those who have experience with this stuff, can you help?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use it and it does work.
Use caution, do not inhale any, put it on them in a well ventilated area (or try to keep their heads covered), and remove them from the room while putting it on the carpet.

When using it on the carpet, I suggest you use a broom to really work it down into the carpet fibers, let it sit for a minimum of 24 hours before vacuuming.
If possible, use a shop vac for initial vacumming, them go over it with your regular vac.

You can also buy a couple of flea collars, cut them up, and keep them in the bags/cannisters of your vacuum(s).

I also sprinkle it around the base of the outside of the house (obviously not possible in an apartment) and lay it a slight bit thicker at entry points.

As for how it feels to walk on, it feels like talc or baby powder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Arlyn. So... it is okay to actually apply this on a cat? It doesn't "react" with their flea meds that they're already on (Frontline, which hardly works anymore)?

I was also thinking that getting all the entry points really well would be a good idea, too.

Thanks for the info!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't react to anything, it's microscopic fossilized crustaceans.
It is an irritant if inhaled though, but perfectly safe to swallow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but...

okay, I have sprinkled onto the carpet and worked it in as best as I can. The carpet still looks white. I am sure to have inhaled some while I was on my hands and knees doing this.

My question now is (and a good time to ask): while this is on the carpet, will it be a hazard to my somewhat asthmatic husband? All the windows and doors are closed for Fall. Or is the danger of inhaling only while you are sprinkling it?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's like dust, an irritant if stirred up.
I also have asthma/COPD, when I have it down on carpets (I use a dust mask while sprinkling), it does aggrivate my allergies a little, but not to the point of coughing or wheezing.
I would have him leave, or at least wear a dust mask when you vacuum it up though.