Question about cholesterol

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just picked up my bloodwork at the doctors.

Well, my total cholesterol is 251. HDL is 83. LDL is 150. My ratio is 3.0. Now I know that anything below 5.0 is good. Optimum is 3.5. So why did he circle 251? The 251 and 150 are listed as high.

So, I am getting a mixed message here. Very confused. I know some of you guys are in the health field. Can you shed some light on this? Should I start eating lettuce?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The simple answer is that you have high cholesterol.

LDL = Bad cholesterol. It leaves plaque behind.
Ideal for people at very high risk of heart disease = below 70
Ideal for people at risk of heart disease = below 100

Borderline high = 130 to 159 (or for us metrics 3.4 to 4.1)
Your LDL is 150 which is considered to be borderline high

HDL = Good cholesterol. It hauls plaque away.
Best = over 60 (metric....greater than 1.5)
Your HDL = 83 which is good.

However, you have a high LDL, which is not so good.

The only way to increase your HDL is to exercise. Also, the level of HDL in your body is also determined by genetics. Some people are genetically inclined to higher levels and some to almost non-existent levels.

The only way to decrease your LDL is through low fat diet and/or cholesterol pills.

Niacin also helps lower LDL levels, but does nothing to increase your HDL. Niacin can cause facial flushing, but there are "flush free" ones available. Both are available over the counter but you have to ask the pharmacist. Remember, it's important to talk to your doctor before starting on any kind of medication, even over the counter stuff because they all are pills/medications and are designed to affect your blood/body in some way. So never take anything without discussing it with your doctor first.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I think (like you said) that number is your total Cholesterol - and your "total" is considered problematic.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-man...anding-numbers

Your total blood cholesterol is a measure of LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and other lipid components. Doctors recommend total cholesterol levels below 200

Total Cholesterol\tCategory
Less than 200\tDesirable
200 - 239\tBorderline High
240 and above\tHigh
Thing is - your count varies to time of day, or whatever!

I think oatmeal - or roughage - is helpful

Here is an interesting article from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/niacin/CL00036

I just got my labs back too, - it's always after I leave the doctor that the good questions pop into my brain.

here's another interesting link: Niacin, clean arteries & Suzanne Somers
http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=754176

I can't remember what book written by Suzanne Somers that I was reading, but she does have some interesting ideas about fat, and cholesterol

Sorry, I can't really be of help with all the ratio things - I guess you could make a call to the doctor for a better explanation to your questions.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you and got those results I would start making some huge lifestyle changes and take it very seriously. Start reading some books to gather a better opinion of how to handle this. If you are going to do more salads make sure to hold the dressing and croutons and load up on colorful veggies. The darker the lettuce, the better, think spinach or red leaf lettuce vs. iceburg.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well what concerns me is the doctor never called me. I had the test done on October 15 and the results must have come in a day or two later.

Well, I have a call in to the nurse there to see what the deal is. But I always thought that the ratio is the number that is looked at overall. I mean the optimum is 3.5 and I am lower than that at 3.0.

Ugh.....I wish she would all back!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I always thought that the ratio is the number that is looked at overall. I mean the optimum is 3.5 and I am lower than that at 3.0.
Yes, that's important, but the values of HDL and LDL are more important. You want your HDL to be vastly higher than the LDL. So you can't really go by a ratio if you have less than optimal HDL and LDL levels.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you have your thyroid levels (free T-3 and T-4) and triglyceride levels checked, too? A symptom of low thyroid is elevated cholesterol levels and/or high triglycerides. In fact that is how hypothyroidism used to be diagnosed (before the useless TSH test became so popular with doctors).

You and your doctor need to look at the whole picture of your test results, especially if your diet is good. Please don't let anyone put you on drugs for this before you explore the causes. There's no proof that the drugs help, anyway, and some of them you have to stay on for life if you start them.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

... Please don't let anyone put you on drugs for this before you explore the causes. There's no proof that the drugs help, anyway, and some of them you have to stay on for life if you start them.
Well said!
Drug companies invent a drug, then find an ailment that fits.

They sell it to the doctors, (of course leaving samples) and the busy doctors have little time to research the true benefits, then prescribe it to a patient.

My doctor's practice even has a direct line to any pharmacy to send the prescription over the internet - that's before I even have time to research it, and determine if the risks out weigh the benefits.

I'm beginning to think we all need some sort of health advocate that helps us continually monitor our drugs, our supplements, and our health --- if there is such a profession - let me know please.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Did you have your thyroid levels (free T-3 and T-4) and triglyceride levels checked, too? A symptom of low thyroid is elevated cholesterol levels and/or high triglycerides. In fact that is how hypothyroidism used to be diagnosed (before the useless TSH test became so popular with doctors).

You and your doctor need to look at the whole picture of your test results, especially if your diet is good. Please don't let anyone put you on drugs for this before you explore the causes. There's no proof that the drugs help, anyway, and some of them you have to stay on for life if you start them.

Here is a simple description of each

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...61_Article.jsp

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...62_Article.jsp

250 total as mentioned is a high total... and your HDL is at a Very good level.. the Ldl is higher than what is desired ..

HDL is nearly always Lower than Ldl

Realize Heredity has a lot to do with this ... Diets high in soluble fiber help to a degree

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

I'm beginning to think we all need some sort of health advocate that helps us continually monitor our drugs, our supplements, and our health --- if there is such a profession - let me know please.
Definitely!
That is now part of the job description of being a human adult, comes with the other adult stuff. I see both traditional doctors and consult with a Naturopathic doctor and research like crazy. It is amazing how many different "educated" opinions conflicting there can be on one straightforward subject. When it comes to health, not everyone fits in an easy box and there isn't always a one approach fits or helps all.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was just going to suggest that!

One year before I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, DH and I had blood work done for life insurance. My total cholesterol was 250. I was dumb and not worried about it (I was 25, *shrug*) and it wasn't until I started having MORE hypothyroid symptoms that I had my TSH and other blood work done. TSH was high (indicating, to most "normal" doctors that I was hypothyroid) and cholesterol was still around 250.

Started seeing a better doctor for my thyroid and 4 months later had my cholesterol checked and it was down to 151.

So, before trying cholesterol meds, get more blood work done!!!