Question about cat asthma

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All,

Few weeks ago, I learned that my cat has an asthma and the vet prescribed pills (which have steroid substance) for my cat. It works out great that my cat used to make wheezing sound (or in other words, asthma attack) multiple times a day but now, it occurs about 1-2 times a week or even less. However, when he gets an attack, it sounds bit more intense than before. He goes from a normal asthma attack (normal wheezing) to a serious moment when he could not breed and making even faster wheezing and heart beating for few seconds, then back to normal attack and done. This makes me very worried. Though the attack occurs way less than before, I am not sure why it is more intense. I remember the vet mentioned that sometime the attack might lead to emergency and it also makes me worried because I am not in home all day and I never know when this attack will occur. So my vet recommended me to start giving him a pill again (I stopped after a week since his symptom got better) but since it has steroid, I am not sure how much and how often I need to keep giving it to my cat.

Previous foster parent said they never saw him having an asthma situation. I do not smoke or have dusty environment so I do not know why he suddenly gets this problem.

I never have asthma cat so I am worried about all this. Has anyone goes through asthma cat and if so, how is it and what am I suppose to do? Can you give me a little advice, like did you see the attack gets worse? Should I keep giving him a pill though he is doing better? I am just curious all about cat asthma. Thank you so much!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hello All,

Few weeks ago, I learned that my cat has an asthma and the vet prescribed pills (which have steroid substance) for my cat. It works out great that my cat used to make wheezing sound (or in other words, asthma attack) multiple times a day but now, it occurs about 1-2 times a week or even less. However, when he gets an attack, it sounds bit more intense than before. He goes from a normal asthma attack (normal wheezing) to a serious moment when he could not breed and making even faster wheezing and heart beating for few seconds, then back to normal attack and done. This makes me very worried. Though the attack occurs way less than before, I am not sure why it is more intense. I remember the vet mentioned that sometime the attack might lead to emergency and it also makes me worried because I am not in home all day and I never know when this attack will occur. So my vet recommended me to start giving him a pill again (I stopped after a week since his symptom got better) but since it has steroid, I am not sure how much and how often I need to keep giving it to my cat.

Previous foster parent said they never saw him having an asthma situation. I do not smoke or have dusty environment so I do not know why he suddenly gets this problem.

I never have asthma cat so I am worried about all this. Has anyone goes through asthma cat and if so, how is it and what am I suppose to do? Can you give me a little advice, like did you see the attack gets worse? Should I keep giving him a pill though he is doing better? I am just curious all about cat asthma. Thank you so much!
When a cat has asthma at our shelter, our vets routinely prescribe a rescue inhaler as part of their therapy, so you might discuss this with your vet especially in the context of treating a sudden attack.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a good web site to learn more about feline asthma: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

Inhaled asthma medicines are preferable over pills. You can talk to your vet about these. Flovent is the most common and is given with the AeroKat device.
 However, when he gets an attack, it sounds bit more intense than before. He goes from a normal asthma attack (normal wheezing) to a serious moment when he could breed and making even faster wheezing and heart beating for few seconds, then back to normal attack and done. This makes me very worried
You need to have an emergency rescue inhaler on hand to use if your cat ever has a severe asthma attack. The vet can prescribe one to use.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As the others say, inhalers really are the way to go. They deliver the drug directly to where it's needed - exactly what you want during an attack.

The other great thing about them is that the levels of steroids needed are lower than if the meds are given by mouth. This is because the pills have to get into the bloodstream via the stomach, and then get pumped round to the lungs. As the inhaler puts the drugs straight to the lungs, far less is needed per dose.

There are tons of videos on YouTube showing cats using inhalers with the AeroKat. Most cats work out pretty quickly that the inhaler makes them feel better, and so it doesn't take too long for them to accept it.

Good luck with your boy. I hope you're able to get his asthma fully under control soon.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Are you using the same kind of kitty litter as the previous foster? Sometimes kitty litter can cause reactions.

(This is just anecdotal but one of our cats had several minor coughing incidents, as if she were trying to hack up a hairball, shortly after we adopted her... the coughing stopped completely after we switched from Fresh Step, which is very dusty and perfumed, to Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief, which is low-dust.)

Good luck!