Question about by-products

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, they're not. But please see the definition of "meat meal," above. "Meat meal" IS an ingredient in some dry pet foods. And it can contain meat from ANY mammal.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At this point, it's unclear to me what you claim is untrue. But it is a fact that approximately 2 billion pounds of non-slaughtered poultry and mammals are rendered annually in the U.S. out of approximately 48 billion pounds, and some of that poultry and meat meal makes its way into pet food.

It is also true that in Spain, in 2013, some pet foods contained dog DNA. Agrolimen Group, based out of Spain, is the 6th largest pet food company in the world, marketing to 20 countries.

:dk:

Last edited:

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is interesting.
http://www.bullmarketfrogs.com/2014/03/aafco-admits-rendered-pets-in-pet-food/

There are many rendering plants across the country. When you grow up on a farm that raises animals you will know them and use them at some point.
They are the ones to call if you need a dead animal removed.....and they do it free of charge. Doesn't matter how they died or how long they have been rotting.
They also collect road kill, locker plant leftovers, and grocery store expired food. And sometimes when a storm comes through, the rendering plant makes out
with the thousands of turkeys that died and were left rotting for days.
The rendering plant makes a powdered and slurry product that is sold as feed. I can tell you that I know of no cow, chicken, horse, or pig that eats this "feed." Farmers either grow their own feed or go to the grainery to buy it if they don't grow it themselves. Period. Farm animals don't eat meat products.
Rendered powder and slurry product is sold to pet food companies.

Vets have animals in their freezers right now. Some people don't want to bury or cremate after their pet passes and the vet "takes care of it." Who do YOU think
picks up these dead pets?

• Purraise
Reactions: ldg

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I wonder if maybe there's a mix-up here between by-products and other ingredients of pet food. Quoting from our article
By-products from USDA-inspected facilities do not include any dead, dying, diseased or disabled animals, collectively known as "the 4D's".
By-products are not  rendered meal. Rendering is the process whereby various animal tissues are cooked to the point of melting and separating fats from proteins. By-products are not rendered in this way, unless specifically described as "rendered" or as "by-products meal".
So, there are two entirely separate classes of ingridients here - 

1. Rendered Meal

Rendered meal can include all sorts of stuff which frankly, I see no problem with including, such as roadkill or diseased animals. The rendering is so intense, it's broken down to very basic proteins and fats. Is the source disgusting? Absolutely. Does it make it a bad ingredient? I don't think so. The bottom line is the nutritional value.

Obviously, such extreme processing changes the nutritional value of the ingredient. "Chicken Meal" is nothing like actual chicken where nutritional values are concerned and any animal fed on that alone would become severely malnourished. Yes, when used as an ingredient, for it's animal-derived protein and fats, I see no problem with working it into a balanced formula of cat food.

Again, this is meal. Not by-products.

2. By-Products

By-products come from slaughterhouses. They are the leftovers of our own food. The cannot include an of the 4D's and they cannot include hair, hoofs, horns, hide trimmings or stomach contents. 

By-products are far less processed and as such used in canned cat food and not dry. IMO, as long as you stick to reputable companies that source their ingredients from USDA-inspected facilities, you should not worry about any of the 4D's being included.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent point Anne. Perhaps my original post in this thread was not clear enough in the distinction between by-products and by-product meal. :nod: I thought it was clear, but... :dk:

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Excellent point Anne. Perhaps my original post in this thread was not clear enough in the distinction between by-products and by-product meal.
I thought it was clear, but...
I liked my post too. I would give myself Purraise for it if I could 

Seriously, folks, we're in purraising mode this month, so hit those green thumbs where you think they're deserved and share the love 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I liked my post too. I would give myself Purraise for it if I could :lol3:

Seriously, folks, we're in purraising mode this month, so hit those green thumbs where you think they're deserved and share the love :rub: ! 

:lol3: I liked my first post. All it got was an argument. :flail: