Question About Annual Vaccinations

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My annual vaccinations snuck up on me. I thought my kitty was due for them next month, but she was actually due for her annuals this past Sunday. Does it hurt to wait a week? Like if I were to go this coming Saturday? She’s strictly an indoor kitty with no exposure to other animals (unless me or my family are around other friends’ house pets and she smells it on our pants/shoes).

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi brdwybaby !
...She’s strictly an indoor kitty with no exposure to other animals...
In that case, you might want to re-think the whole business of "annuals".

The current thinking these days is that we should not be over-vaccinating our cats.

There's information about this here: Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

Besides over-vaccination, that article talks about the need to stay away from some vaccines with dangerous ingredients called "adjuvants".

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine that a week would hurt if it's just yearly boosters. There is some evidence that a three-year vaccine protocol is just as effective as a yearly one; I'm not sure if there's any evidence that cats need boosters every year, but they do need a checkup, at least, so get her in when you can.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A week late doesn't matter, IMO. My cats are often a week or so off with their yearly vaccinations, mostly due to the vet's schedule and when we can be fit in. last month I booked their yearly appointment for September (that's how busy the vet is) and they'll be 3 weeks past due for vaccinations.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes veterinary practices mail out reminder post cards too early. Nothing is going ot happen between now and the earliest time you can take her in that could be prevented wiht the FVRCP vaccine. Indoor cats can't get rabies unless they live with unvaccinated dogs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indoor cats can't get rabies unless they live with unvaccinated dogs.
Rabies in dogs is even rarer than rabies in cats, in the US. The most likely exposure scenario for indoor cats is a rabid bat that may slip inside. It is a very small risk though.

A few days doesn't matter. Annual vaccines aren't necessary anyway. You may want to ask your vet about going to a 3-year schedule. That's the current AAHA recommendation.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I stopped vaccinating my cats. They never go outside. The only vaccination I get is rabies because I had bats in the house years ago and I don't trust that they won't get back inside again. Also, where i live, it is the law now.